Sunday, August 15, 2010

Okra, Mums, Violets, and others

About two months ago, I sowed Okra seeds, and two week's ago, fruits started showing. These plants are dwarf variety, which are growing in containers made of cement. Each weekend I either fertilize or spray pesticide or prune the plants to keep them healthy. I have five Okra plants, four of them have two fruits each and more to come. I have not observed any flowers on them but they already have fruits. That's strange!

Okra

The Chrysanthemum plants have innumerable buds; some of which have already flowered. I have about a dozen vareity of the Mums. They will flower for the next two months or so. Once in fifteen days, I fertilize them - either with Rose mixture or horse manure or use Maxi Grow. I use Neem oil as pesticide; spray it twice a month. The flowers are lovely. I am hoping to seem them all blooms together. What a colorful sight that would be!
Chrysanthemums
Chrysanthemums
Chrysanthemums

The Magenta-colored flower in the last row is not a Mum. I am yet to find out the botanical name of the plant. This plant has flowers throughout the year, if growing conditions are apt. When I was a child, this plant was so common, and we had this plant in our garden and loved its flowers. I have realized that it is good to grow native plants and plants that adapt to conditions of the place where we reside.
African Violet

I thought that my African Violets reached a slow death, but two of them have survived and they seem to like the shade under the Neem tree. One of them has several buds and a few White-colored violets. The Rose plants too are in full bloom. It's raining flowers on the terrace garden!

Chilli PlantWhat I did this weekend was to provide support poles for tomato plants and help the beans creeper to climb on one of the support poles. I have planted  Galdiolus bulbs. Oh, I also adopted a fully grown chilli plant that was growing on a roadside, hoping to protect it from getting crushed by vehicles! The plant has survived at my garden. I harvested about a dozen Green chillies.

That's all from me this week. Keep gardening!

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. how nice - to find a chilli plant and bring it home.
    love reading through your blog. very interesting. im just getting started on a kitchen garden as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arati. All the best for your kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget