Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eggplant

A couple of years ago when I visited my relative's farm at Sirshi (Karnataka, India), I was amazed at the size of eggplants. Almost every house grew eggplants and other vegetables. They would pluck the vegetables from their kitchen garden, and prepare delicious dishes. Ah, the taste of fresh vegetables was wonderful!

Eggplant 1 at the farm

Eggplant 2 at the farm - tied to keep it from falling!
That vacation was memorable. I visited farms, admired flowers and fruits, tasted delicious Star fruits, learnt about growing plants, and ate healthy food. Ah, not to mention the company of friendly people (and lots of kids)!

I have a weakness - each time we visit a nursery I tend to buy something or the other, usually a pack of seeds. During one such time, I had picked a pack of eggplant seeds, and I gifted it to my dear aunt (who loves gardening). She was excited, and sowed a few seeds. My little cousin and her friends play on the terrace, and had dug almost all containers. Oh, how will the seeds sprout? We can't scold the kids - their tender hearts will pain; so we gave them the task to monitor the container, and see if a sprout appeared.

One fine day, the sprouts did appear! About five or six plants grew healthy, and I borrowed two or three from my aunt. The plants grew well and flowered too; but due to rains, the flowers fell one after another. Now that the rains have stopped, one of the plants has flowers. Out of four flowers, one has a fruit. I am all excited! Hope to see more fruits. :-)

Eggplant emerging shyly at our garden
Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Nice! congratulations :)
    btw, I sent you the pics of the hibiscus and anthurium plants that are not blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malathi,

    Thanks! Pls check your email. Both the plants are lovely :-)

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget