Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A bug affair...

The untimely rains damaged most of my plants. The plants soaked in rains. When the rains stopped, one day, I noticed a few bugs on my Chrysanthemum plants. Oh, these bugs hid themselves in the layers of the flower petals!

I picked the flowers to see the bugs. They looked cute, trying to cuddle with the petals to keep themselves warm. But I was also angry because they damaged the plants. The Mums also faced stem rots. I had to prune all these plants to avoid further diseases. 



The plants get immune to the pesticide that I use. And so, there is a need to change the pesticide after a while. The Neem oil worked really well. While I was searching the Internet for information about pests, I found this amazing Web site (BugGuide.net): http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
 
Have a bug-free garden! :-)

Regards,
Asha

3 comments:

  1. Asha, my dahlia is infested with white alphid too. It's so true. During rainy days, the moisture that was left on the plant and flower buds that didn't manage to dry fast enough, invited pest. I have to trim them off :-(

    But those eggs on your mums are huge! Hope you will find something that's effective to get rid of this bug.

    And yes... have a bug-free garden :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,

    What did you use for the white alphid?

    For now, I have managed to keep the bug at bay! They may return just like weeds.

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I know! They keep coming back... I have tried many pesticides that are available in the market - organic and also water-based ones if non-organic. None seems to keep them out totally. I have keep spraying ;-(

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget