Sunday, December 19, 2010

On a winter sunday

What's my garden story on a winter Sunday? Hmm... The African violets have flowered again; they look pretty and delicate. The maroon anthuriums have been blooming regularly. The gladiolus plants have stopped flowering; that's sad. And... several colorful winter flowers saying a 'Hi!'

A few plants that replanted have new leaves; that's good news. The leaves of the chilli plant were Yellow; for sure, they had pests. I handpicked the bugs, and then pruned the plant. Oh yes, I planted the broccoli and cabbage plants in bigger containers! Let's wait and watch how they grow.

In one broad container, I had planted potatoes. These plants had grown crazily tall, and I kept telling myself to put more soil so that they can grown well. Meanwhile, the plants were turning Yellow; yes, pests. Even after spraying pesticide, the pests wouldn't go. I decided to remove those plants. When I started digging the plants out, I found baby potatoes! Who would expect that! Wish I could save these plants so that the potatoes grew well. But, no problem, I got a few potatoes.

I also had pruned the cherry tomato plant. And yes, I see new leaves and flowers. More tomatoes to come! The okra plants and the french beans creeper too are back in action. I love them all, and dislike seeing them suffer because of pests.


Rexes... They are tricky, picky, and ultra delicate. I've tried growing them before, and failed. Recently, I bought a few Rexes, and have planted them in small containers. Well, honestly, only a few have managed to survive.

That's all for today. Have a great week ahead.

Regards,
Asha

6 comments:

  1. Looks like winter is a productive time in India, at least at your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Asha!

    It's great to hear from you. Those little potatoes look really cute.

    Now, I hope the bugs won't bother your other plants again. I must say that removing them is the best way to move forward ;-)

    Sorry about your rexes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear AB,

    We have a few vegetables and flowers that love the winter. :-)

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,

    Thanks! Those potatoes took less than 5 minutes to cook, and tasted smooth. :)

    Rexes... I still do not want to give up trying!

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't you post some more pics? How's your strawberry plant doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Malathi,

    Will post more pics in a while. How are your plants doing?

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget