Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jamines and roses

During my childhood, we had a jasmine creeper at our grandma's house. The creeper grew like a tree from ground to the terrace, and was my grandma's favorite. She would pick the buds every evening, and we would help. If there were too many buds, she would make garlands for the Gods. Yes, yes, she knew how to please the Gods!

At our house, mom's friends and mom would buy kilos of jasmine flowers, and make garlands while they gossiped. That was the merry time for the kids; we would cycle or play hide-and-seek or invent some game. Looking back, I feel that those days were fun; the bonding was genuine. After so many years, I faintly recollect the fragrance of jasmine.

More than seven or eight months ago, I bought two sets of the two varieties of jasmine plants - Ambur Mallige (AM) and Dundu Mallige (DM). I presented one DM plant to my aunt, and that plant flowered so beautifully. It had flowers till recent, and has started to flower again. While my plant, flowered a few times, and then hibernated. The Ambur Mallige creeper has grow well, and I'm expecting to see some flowers this season.

I kept trying to find out what was wrong with my DM plant. Ah, well, I changed the soil, replanted it in bigger container, put manure, and so on. The leaves started becoming greener and bigger. And day after day, the plants started growing. Because I didn't want this to become a creeper, I pinched the tips. There are branches now, and each has healthy buds. Thrilled!

I've captured the buds-to-flowers stages in my mobile camera. The fragrance of jasmines is intoxicating; one flower can have an everlasting effect!
Tender buds
Buds

Dundu Mallige - Jasmine!

Roses? I bought a few roses with a doubt if they'll grow well. Why the doubt? Because the plants were just born out of cuttings, and didn't seem strong enough. Anyway, I got them home, and planted them in 16" containers. I had limited supply of Red mud, and so the containers need to be filled with more soil, which I intend to do over the weekend. Yes, I see tender leaves on the new plants. Guess they are survivors!
Creamy Cream
Rose!

Killer Red!

Double Trouble! :)

What's new at your garden?

Regards,
Asha

8 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers! I really like the cream-colored rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour of your roses is sweet! And I love that jasmine in the picture also. I am sure they smell wonderful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi College Gardener,

    Thanks! That rose is pretty and has a yummy fragrance. And, oh, your blog site is beautiful!

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie,

    How are you doing? Thanks. Oh, the jasmines have an intoxicating fragrance!

    At southern parts of India, jasmines are famous; everyone loves them. Women wear them on their plaits. The flowers act as a nature deodorant. Don't we love Mother Nature! :-)

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  5. The roses that you are growing are lovely and I like their shades of colours. I have problems with my Jasmine plant too, hardly growing after 6 years and prone to pest attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks AB! I am a new parent when it comes to roses. I hope these plants survive and grow. :-)

    I guess that it's the bright sunlight that's doing wonders to the jasmine plant. One other variety is yet to display signs of flowering!

    Hope your plant flower this season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Asha Ram,

    Nice blog...!! i must say this..

    My self sarthak, software Engineer by profession. i would like to get more information regarding this flower cultivation as i'm planing to start it as my part time business. Could you please assist me from where i can get the information needed for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarthak,

      Where are you based out of? Are you planning on cultivating flowers in greenhouses or on land?

      Regards,
      Asha

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget