Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Neem treasure...

We have a big, old Neem tree at home. We love it, and on special days, we pray to it. There are times when people ask for the leaves either for their use or for the temple. We only request them not to break the branches, and to pick the leaves without hurting the tree. So, you see, one of the treasures at our house is this beautiful Neem tree!

Neem tree

From about a month or so, the tree is shedding leaves. Each morning when I open the house door, the terrace has a sheet of dried leaves. When I sweep the leaves, more leaves fall down to tease me! It's so strange to see the tree slowly go naked. But, wait for one more month, the tree will have fresh, tender leaves saying a Hello. I love the Green of those tender leaves.

Shedding leaves
The dried Neem leaves can be used in many ways. I put a few leaves in pulses and rice to save them from insects. I also grind the Neem leaves, and apply the paste as a face pack or body pack. Does wonders to people (like me) that are highly allergy prone.

Container with dried neem leaves
I make a heap of these leaves, and allow them to dry further. I covered the containers with the dried leaves so that the moisture can be retained and the pests can be kept at bay. Current task that I have on hand is to store the dried Neem leaves for future use. Should I put them in plastic bags and store them? Or should I dump them all in a big barrel? Or should I use all the leaves to cover all the containers?

Dried neem leaves
While I find answers to those questions, why don't you enjoy a cup of tea, admiring your garden!

Regards,
Asha

3 comments:

  1. I have heart a lot about neem but I didn't realise that the tree can be so huge. Cool! I can see you will have a lot need leaves :-D You make your own face pack? I am interested to know hehe... would it make the skin dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, Neem trees grow huge as they age. The face pack...

    Powder the dried leaves. If you are using fresh leaves, grind them (with a little water or curds) into a nice paste. Take a bowl, add the Neem powder or paste, a pinch of turmeric, and a spoon of curd. Mix well to form a paste. Wash your face with cold water, and pat it dry. Then apply this face pack.

    Wash it off with cold water (and mild soap). You can also add aloe vera juice or gel to this paste, or finely grated cucumber. Try it, and let me know how your skin felt!

    Regards,
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the details Asha. Now I have to look for neem leaves ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget