Sunday, February 6, 2011

Seed germination

I have tried different methods of seed germination. During childhood, mother and I would simply dig the ground, sprinkle some seeds, close the soil, and water a little. And then wait for the seeds to germinate. Of course, each day we would discuss about how many seeds would germinate and so on. Fun!

Later when ground space became an issue, we followed similar procedure but sowed seeds in containers. Oh, the procedure still worked! I don't remember having purchased seeds during those days; we saved seeds from the vegetables or fruits or flowers that we bought, or our neighbors or relatives or friends shared plants and seeds. That's the spirit that existed in the community, which is missing these days. How much fun it will be if we can revive this culture!

As years rolled by, gardening was limited to admiring gardens that belonged to others, and observing plants, and of course, silently praying that I get a chance to start gardening. One good day, the wish was granted; yippee, and this blog is the result of that wish!

After the wish was granted, you see, I had an empty terrace that was my gardening lab. I could conduct any experiment I wanted. In the process of learning different methods of seed germination, I tried seed germination using paper pots (made of newspaper). I am big fan of this method. I get to use the newspaper  (easily available, and cheaper), and the seeds germinate well. I can keep the entire paper pot inside a container, without removing the plants. The paper decays and blends with the soil.

The following photos illustrate the paper pots used for seed germination. I sowed peas (4), and today, I replanted the plants in bigger container. The peas plants are delicate, and I hope they all survive in the new container.

Peas sprouting

Growing day by day

Lovely peas plants!
When I had several seeds to sow, I decided to purchase a seed tray. There are several kinds of seed trays in the market, and they are non-expensive. I picked one with 50 cells; each cell small enough to suit my purpose. It's cute. :-)
Seed tray

What's the use of purchasing tray but not using it, huh? So, I prepared soil mixture - Red mud, coco peat, sand, and manure. Filled the cells with the soil, and sowed the seeds in them. I left one blank cell, and put a piece of paper with the name of the vegetable. I picked a few vegetables that I would love to see in my garden, and picked only 4-6  or lesser than 10 seeds of each. Even if one seed of each kind germinates, I'll be the happiest!
Soil mixture
Seed tray with seeds
 As of today, radish seeds and sponge gourd seeds have germinated. I replanted radish plants in a bigger container. The roots are lovely. This time around I hope to harvest good radish, not just leaves. I am excited about growing sponge gourd; that's one vegetable I loved, and sad to know that some people haven't tasted. More about the plant in my next blogs.
Sponge gourd


Radish
Radish - look at the roots
The experiments keep me energized, and the success of the experiments keeps my passion alive. I thank the plants for being my friends and for giving me the energy to improve.

Happy a good week ahead.

Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. Seeing plants grow is fascinating for me as well. I like your method of using newspaper. Thanks for sharing Asha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, try it and let me know if the seeds germinated well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. from where did I can get it and tell me about it`s price...in INDIAN market....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls check with www.agricart.in/‎ (for seeds, plants, and gardening equipment.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget