Wednesday, March 23, 2011

E for Eggplant, P for Potato, S for Sponge Gourd

Am I teaching alphabets? No! Am I learning? May be! :-)

Or may be I'm recollecting the plants that I wanted to blog about - Eggplant, Potato, and Sponge Gourd. During December last year, I harvested a few potatoes after which I hadn't planted potatoes. Last month, I saw that the potatoes I bought had eyes that were sprouting. I took 2-3 such potatoes, cut the eyes, and sowed them. Now they have grown thick and beautiful.
Potato plant

More  potato plants
And it was during October last year that I blogged about eggplant. I had the plant till recent; removed it because the plant was infected. Unfortunate that I could not save it. Meanwhile, two other egg plants were growing. One of them has lots of flowers and a few flowers have turned into fruits - round ones. The other plant is still young, but I'm surprised at the size of its leaves. No idea what kind of egg plant this is! It must have sprung from some seed that I had sown long time ago.
Egg plant 2

Egg plant 1 with young fruit

Egg plant 1 with flowers

Last month the sponge gourd seeds sprouted, and only one of them survived. Today, the seedling is a nice young creeper. I take extra care of this creeper because it's one of the vegetables that we have lost - isn't available in the markets. Most of my friends and hubby haven't seen or tasted this gourd; it's surprises me. Hopefully, the creeper grows well, and gifts us good gourds.
Sponge Gourd
That's all I have for today. Tomorrow will be another bright summer day. Enjoy your week.

Regards,
Asha

6 comments:

  1. I wish you would have some sponge gourds ;-) The foliage looks nice so, I think the gourd must be as nice. Btw, nice sight of your plants. They all look fantastic.

    Enjoy your week as well Asha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I'm already asking my elders to share traditional recipes to cook sponge gourds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Asha
    Isn't sponge gourd also known as ridge gourd or turai? If it is, they are available a plenty in the markets :)
    your plants look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by. How are your hibiscus plants doing?

    Sponge gourd and ridge gourd are related. In the native language, sponge gourd is called 'Tuppada heerekai' (Luffa aegyptiaca -smooth surface); ridge gourd is 'Heerekai' (Luffa acutangula - angled surface).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos Asha. Well, I have not seen a sponge gourd, do post some photos when you harvest them:-). regards, Sumathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sumi; thanks. Will post the growing stages of the plant and gourds. I too am looking forward for the gourds. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget