Saturday, March 19, 2011

Growing peanuts in containers

Hello! It's been a while since I blogged about our little garden. I am back after a holiday, and feels nice to be back home. As always, there are new developments at the garden.

The story of growing peanuts (Arachis hypogaea)... One day, I soaked a few peanuts (groundnuts) to make a salad. The next day I drained the water. Slowly the peanuts began to sprout. Among the sprouts, I selected a few of them, and sowed them in yogurt cups (, which make excellent seed trays).
Sprouted peanuts

I covered the two yogurt cups with coco peat, and sowed the sprouts. One day I saw that the cups had fallen; ah, the pigeons must have thought that the sprouts were worms and tried to pull them out! Fearing that this act would repeat, I moved the cups indoor. The indoor seed germination worked well. :-)

Day after day, the seedlings grew with lush Green leaves. When I returned home from vacation, I was glad to the seedlings much bigger and stronger. I was happy. Within the next 120 to 150 days, I'm hoping to harvest the peanuts. Wish me luck!
Lush seedlings

Within the next few days, I must transplant the seedlings to bigger containers. A sandy soil and lots of sunshine will help the plants grow well. Distance between plants can be 6 to 8 inches. Keeping the soil moist is important; however, when the flowers begin to show, do not provide excess water (, avoids blind pods).


There are a variety of pests that attack peanut plants. You may want to read Pests of Peanuts. Powdery dew is a major problem at our garden, and I don't want the peanut plants to get affected. Sigh. Don't we all have our little problems with pests?
Strong and healthy seedlings
I shall keep you updated about the peanut plants. Happy gardening!

Regards,
Asha

3 comments:

  1. Nice job growing peanut. Love to know the progress later. Yup keep posted. The seedlingss are beautiful!

    Good luck on your glox. Remember to feed it ok. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! I managed to transplant a few seedlings; a few more pending. Waiting for the weekend to complete the job. Glox are growing leaf after leaf; yes, I fed them on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Asha. I'm so excited. You can grow peanuts from the store bought seeds. That's great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget