Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top 5 recommendations to new gardeners

Welcome, friends! This blog is just for you. I know you are new to gardening and want to grow a few plants; however, you are wondering what plants to grow. Based on my experience, I recommend the following plants that are easy to find, grow, and maintain (especially at southern parts of India). All these plants grace our little terrace garden, and I hope they decorate your garden as well. All the best!

Note: 'Top 5' indicates the five plants on the top of my mind.

Top 5 herbs are:
  • Tulsi (Holy Basil or Ocimum tenuiflorum)
  • Kamakasturi (Basil or Ocimum basilicum)
  • Ondelaga (Asiatic Pennywort or Centella asiatica)
  • Amruthaballi (Tonospora cordifoli)
  • Pudina (Mint or Mentha)
Top 5 leafy vegetables are:
  • Doddapatre (Coleus aromaticus)
  • Spinach (Spinacia oleracea)
  • Amaranth (Amaranthus)
  • Methi (Fenugreek or Trigonella foenum-graecum)
  • Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
Top 5 vegetables are:
  • Chili (Peppers or Capsicum)
  • Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum)
  • Potato (Solanum tuberosum)
  • Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
  • Radish (Raphanus sativus)
Top 5 flowering plants are:
  • Hibiscus
  • Jasmine (Jasminum)
  • Periwinkle (Vinca)
  • Geranium
  • Pentas carnea (Pentas lanceolata)
Top 5 ornamental plants are:
  • Money plant (Epipremnum aureum)
  • Spider plant(Chlorophytum comosum)
  • Emerald fern (Asparagus plumosus or setaceus)
  • Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
  • Coleus (Solenostemon)
Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these recommendations! I must have these plants then. I especially like the flowering plants list. Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Steph! Your words are always encouraging; thanks. I absolutely love your flowering plants. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget