Friday, April 22, 2011

Insulin Plant - Another Natural Cure for Diabetes

Insulin plant or Spiral Flag (Costus ingneus) is another Ayurvedic medicinal herb that can be used to control diabetes. This plant has gained a lot of popularity at India. Consuming about 2-3 leaves a day can control diabetes; that's the belief. To know about an experiment conducted, read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2924971/. I eat the leaves too because I like the sour taste (similar to gooseberry). Some kids love the sour taste, and may end up eating most of the leaves!

Insulin Plant
 The plant can be grown easily even in partial sunlight. The leaves grow like a steps on a spiral staircase. The plant is not fussy about the soil that it grows in; ensure that the soil can drain water easily and help roots grow. The plant can be propagated through cuttings or roots. The plant is pest-resistant; isn't that good!

Insulin Plant - Stems

I have placed this plant in partial sunlight (morning Sun) among the flowering plants, and the leaves add glamor to the space it occupies. I like the unique spiral structure of the plant. When I bought the plant, it had only one root. Now the plant has multiplied several folds; each root waiting to be moved to another container. Feed the plant with a little manure once a month. Haven't had any issues with pests till date. :-)


Insulin Plant - Spiral Structure
It's still cloudy here, and we are expecting rains today and tomorrow. I hope the Sun is bright on your side of the globe!

Regards,
Asha

17 comments:

  1. Where I will get this plant? I am staying in Pune (maharashtra). Pl mail me the details on nitin.umare@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any can get Insulin plant from Diabetes free India,the company website is www.http://insulinplant.in
    they willdeliver the medicinal insulin plant at nominal price ..

    sonu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sonu, for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad has been diagnosted with diabetes and he told me of a plant his mother used for her diabetes in Puerto Rico hills. I showed him images on the internet and he picked this leaf as the plant she used! How awesome is that? Nature has all we need in this life to stay healthy! stay off Pharms.
    Thanks to all,
    WPB Florida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asha, I was looking for this plant and landed on your blog. I would want to get this plant for my wife. I have read elsewhere that this can be planted by stem. Would it be feasible for you to give me a stem which I can plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can provide a cutting. Please see you email.

      Delete
  6. Hi Asha, I would want to have this plant. I was searching for this plant and landed here on your blog. My wife has been recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and we would want to try this plant and see if its beneficial for her. I have read elsewhere that this can be planted by stem. Would it be possible for you to give me a stem to plant. I am in BTM Layout and shall be reachable at sushil dot katre at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi asha...that is very useful information you have put out there. i have bought two tiny saplings of the insulin plant just 2 days back when i visited kerala. i have not done much of gardening before. we live in apartments and there is not much open space or a garden. so i have to grow the plant in a pot indoors. will it grow without much sunlight? we only get a bit of sunlight in the evening in our balcony for about 3 to 4 hours. is that much sunlight enough for the plant? how much water does it need on a daily basis? i would be very grateful to get this information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a hardy plant. I think 3-4 hours of good amount of sunlight will be sufficient. One trick (to water plants) is to touch the soil; if dry, please provide water immediately.

      Delete
  8. I need this plant in Pune. Can anyone help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this helps - http://pune.olx.in/201-guranteed-diabetes-cure-by-insulin-plant-and-plant-powder-08749044566-iid-524879741

      Delete
  9. Hi Asha,
    Found this post very useful. Will it be possible to share a small cutting from your garden ?
    If yes, plz msg me on divya.anvekar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Asha,
    We have this plant, but how to process the leaves, do we have to boiled it and plenty?

    Many Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can wash the leaves, and eat them raw. Put a few leaves in sambar or curry, if required. You can also chop the leaves fine, add to tadka along with onions and tomatoes, and then serve with chappati or rice.

      Delete
  11. Respected madam
    You have given a noteworthy information .Thank you very much for these informative contribution .

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget