Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Jade plants

I have been home all day today; was unwell. I'll try to keep this post as short as possible. :-)

Morning when I watered the plants, I noticed that the smaller jade plant had new leaves. The plant is also called money/friendship/lucky plant or crassula ovata dwarf jade/elephant bush/Portulacaria Afra. This plant has been with me for almost a year now. I picked it up the minute I saw it - bonsai version.

When I bought the bonsai (smaller) jade plant, I would observe it everyday - is it really surviving or growing? Oh, yes, I have kept the plant outdoors in nice sunshine! A few leaves fell, and that worried me. I learned that too much watering can result in the leaves to fall. Now only when the soil is dry, I water the plant. Seeing a tiny new leaf excites me.

The bigger one is a real beauty. Among all the plants, both my husband and I liked the same plant, and it came home with us. The plant has overgrown, and I need to move it into a bigger container. I may also prune it a little, and use the cuttings to grow new plants. Hmm... I got to wait till I recoup, before I begin more experiments.

Did you know that the jade plant is popularly used as a feng shui cure. See Feng Shui Plants

Here are the photos (clicked from mobile phone):
The first jade plant
The bigger one
Cheers to health and prosperity!

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to say, this plant is not Crassula ovata.
    This plant is Portulacaria afra, also called as dwarf jade, elephant bush.
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/350/

    Crassula ovata has bigger and thicker leaves, looks much better. Also there are many cultivars of crassula ovata
    http://davesgarden.com/sitewidesearch.php?q=crassula+ovata



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for correction; will update the blog :)

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget