Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Resisting the urge to splurge

Have you ever got carried away by something that you spend uncontrollably? Would happen to me. For example, whenever I enter a nursery, I feel like buying a dozen plants. When I see containers, I feel like picking a few. When I see nice display of seed packets, my hands itch to pick a few dozen packets. The urge to splurge is a weed that needs to be uprooted (sometimes)! :-)

Now, before I buy a plant, I ask these questions:
1) Do I have the budget?
2) Do I really need to buy this plant now?
3) Am I equipped to grow it?
4) Is buying seeds cheaper?
5) Do I have space for the plant?
6) How much additional amount must I spend on its maintenance?

Budget: One way to control over-spending is to make a budget. Plan your garden, and approximate the cost required to buy the plants and to maintain them. Per month or quarter, set aside a little amount, and try to use only that amount for gardening purposes. This discipline takes a long time to set in. But once it sets in, you rock! You are no more an impulsive shopper; you are a wise one.

Alternatives: Sometimes, buying seeds or bulbs is cheaper than buying a plant.You may want to check alternatives:
  • Does a friend have this plant? Can I exchange plants with the friend?
  • Can I grow the plant with seeds? Are seeds available?
  • Can I look at a few other nurseries for the plant (lesser price, better quality)?

Space: Crowding plants in the available space is never a good option. The plants need their space just like we need space. The plants need sufficient light and air to be healthy. Vertical gardening is a good method; check it out. Companion gardening is also excellent, but ensure that you know which pairs of plants can be teamed together.

Knowledge: When I have bought delicate or exotic plants without an idea about the plants, I have felt odd and anxious. If the plants happen to die, I have felt horribly guilty. Now, if I see a plant that I want to buy, I get the details about it, and return home to read about it. On a later date, I pick up the plant. Knowledge is power, and we need to use it wisely, and never shy away from experimenting.

How would you resist your urge to splurge?

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Hi Asha,

    I too get the itch when it comes to those garden seed displays! One good way to stop from spending all of my money on seeds and/or plants is by visiting http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

    There are lots of folks to trade plants and/or seeds with there! It's really fun and lots cheaper than visiting the nursery :) It's sometimes easier to find plants that are considered more rare too! You can set up a list of haves and wants and there is a wealth of other garden info to help youu get started. A warning though...it can be quite addictive :) Have fun! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, thanks for stopping by, and sharing the info. I visited the forums site, and it is interesting; bookmarked it. This kind of addiction is nice nice! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget