Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hibiscus Hair Pack


Hibiscus leaves or flowers have been used in hair care products. The leaves are known to condition the hair; the flower used as a remedy for dandruff. Some variety of hibiscus flowers seem to help hair growth or seem to reduce grey hairs. Some people also use flowers to make hair oil.

What do you do with the hibiscus leaves that you prune or the flowers that dry?

I use the leaves and, sometimes, flowers to make a hair pack. This is how I prepare the hair pack. I collect the dried flowers, and when I prune the plants, I ensure to store a few fresh leaves (from different colored hibiscus plants). I blend the flowers and leaves in a mixer, with very little water. Along with these extracts, I also add a few Neem leaves or Amrutha Balli (Tonospora cordifoli) leaves. Both these leaves have medicinal properties; they tend to reduce dandruff or skin allergies.
Hibiscus leaves and flowers
Hibiscus leaves and flowers blended
I wet my hair, and apply the mix thoroughly. When the pack is almost dry, I wash with luke warm water or cold water (room temperature). There is no need to use chemical shampoo because the pack itself generates nice lather. Ensure to properly rinse the pack. Dry your hair naturally. Use such a hair pack twich a month for good results.

Tell me, doesn't your hair feel soft and shiny?

Regards,
Asha

6 comments:

  1. My grandmother used ground Hibiscus leaves for washing her hair. In fact she never ever used shampoo. So occasionally I would use some of her Hibiscus paste. But I never quite liked the feel of the slimy paste on my hair. Yet I guess Hibiscus leaves are a really good way to clean and condition one's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, grandmothers are a treasure of herbal medicines and remedies. No wonder they were active, healthy, and pretty during their golden years. Try adding a few spoons of gram flour to the paste to nullify the sliminess. But wash the pack early; otherwise, pack gets hard becos of flour, and washing it off with be a problem. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- just happened to come across your blog ! I've got a pack on my hair right this moment. I usually mix it with curd and egg - because I find that hibiscus alone can be quite drying . It works wonders !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Try soaking fenugreek seeds overnight and grinding them with the hibiscus leaves (plus curds).

      Delete
  4. Hi Asha! Last week itself I tried this hair pack and guess what?I was thrilled to notice the softness of my tresses :) but i want 2 enhance the bounties of this pack so I wish to add few ingredients to it. Do tell me whether/how beneficial would they be. They are:-
    1)Aloe versa(1 thick fresh leaf)
    2)bhrami powder
    3)methi powder
    4)jatamansi powder
    5)bhringraj powder
    That's it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these ingredients are good! Because hibiscus leaves are easily available at home, I happen to grind them along with soaked fenugreek seeds and curds, and then apply as hair pack. You can also apply only aloe vera juice with curds.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget