Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Rain, Hibiscus Flowers, and Citrus Fruits

It's been raining here, and it's nice to watch the raindrops falling from the sky to the land. Beautiful! 

When I stepped out this morning, I was thrilled to see the Red hibiscus, Orange hibiscus, and Purple hibiscus bloomed. Seemed like they were greeting me with a big Hello. The second lotus bloomed too. I am mesmerized by its beauty! 

Purple hibiscus
Red hibiscus
Orange hibiscus
Lotus
Today, I harvested heart-shaped tomatoes and chillies. The cherry tomato plant has begun to flaunt its fruits; love to watch them ripe. The dwarf Orange plant has two cute oranges; a few buds and flowers. The lemon plant too has a couple of lemons, and a few flowers. Aw, the caterpillars have returned to eat the leaves of the citrus plants! I feel awful to destroy the caterpillars, but I have to save the plants.

Cherry tomatoes
Orange fruit
Lemon fruit
I had plans to sow seeds, remove weeds, and replant overgrown plants in new earthen containers. But ended up clicking photos of flowers and fruits after the rain. The plants look clean and green, and the pesticide that I sprayed yesterday washed down the drains, due to the rain. Well, I guess that I have to wait till next weekend to complete the garden-related errands. And I hope that rain doesn't again spoil my plans.

Have a good week ahead.

Regards,
Asha

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful hibiscus blooms, they are indeed lovely. Very nice that you received some rain, it always seems to "freshen" up the gardens! Also, it is always fun when the plants start to produce! Thank you for replying to my blog, especially to my daughters poem! She was so proud and she checks daily to see if anyone commented! Happy Gardening! Mindy
    Happy Gardening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Hibsicus colours. The purple one isn't common at all. Great to see all those fruits in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mindy, thanks. Let your daughter know that we are waiting to read her next poem. :)

    Hi Anita, thanks. I like that color. The flowers remind me of the book, 'Purple Hibiscus,' by Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It's an awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! It's lovely to see what's happening in gardens in other parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you! Thanks to the Internet; we can virtually tour lovely gardens around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks beautiful you can send that rain to Savannah..Have a wonderful weekend
    hugs from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your garden treasures are so lovely. I particularly like the hibiscus...stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cherry, rainy season is good; will be great if all of us (here, in the city,) can implement rain harvesting.

    Hi SB, thanks. Hibiscus plants are common and easily available here. A few years ago, most houses had lovely collection of these plants. The flowers look so pretty.

    Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful veggies! And the hibiscus flowers are stunning. The heat has taken its toll on mine, but it is doing better since I replanted it in a larger pot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sage! If you can get sawdust, cover the soil (in the container) with it. Will help retain water to beat the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your purple hibiscus is a Hibiscus syriacus, the Rose of Sharon, the National Flower of South Korea. It is difficult to get it to bloom in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful flower, but has lesser flowers than the other hibiscus plants. The Purple hibiscus seems to grow well here, and at the Lalbagh Flower show, saw a couple of people buying it. Well, yes, the plant is delicate.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget