Sunday, August 28, 2011

Orange orange

Hello! I hope you had a good weekend. Wishing you a great week ahead.

In the past, I mentioned about my Orange plant, and today, I shall elaborate about this lovely plant at our terrace garden.

When I first saw the plant, I thought - "Oh, such a tiny plant! Will it survive, and will it really have fruits?" I checked whether the plant was healthy or not - the roots, foliage, and whole plant. The roots were strong. The foliage was pretty. No pests or bugs on the plant. However, the container was small. The gardener informed me that this plant was grafted from a well-grown tree; growing them from seeds was tricky.

I bought the plant with a promise to myself that I would replant it in a bigger container. But then, in a few days, I noticed tiny buds. Oh, that's not a preferable period to replant. I let the plant continue to grow in the same container. Within days, the buds bloomed, and tiny fruits formed.

The flowers are similar to lemon's. Because the Orange plant is a dwarf variety, the flowers are tiny (and pretty). The fruits are dark Green initially, and then turn lighter in color. From lighter Green, the fruits turn Orange (when they ripen). Observing the change of colors (unripe to ripe) is awesome.

Like any other fruits, Orange fruits has varieties. For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit). My favorite are the Oranges from Coorg. Sadly, we may lose this variety due to farmers cultivating other varieties. Next time when I visit the place, I would love to get a plant for myself; hoping to save the variety.

The Oranges at home tasted a little sour; probably, because they weren't ripe enough or are they the bitter kind? The fruits have a strong aroma, and I am sure they'll taste fantastic in a tart or marmalade. Well, I am yet to experiment with these fruits!

I spray Neem oil or other organic pesticides to this plant. When caterpillars ate the lemon leaves, I checked the Orange plant too; thankfully, no caterpillars there! One major problem that I must watch out with respect to the Orange plant is the rotting of the roots, especially during the monsoon. Luckily, the Sun is out, shining at His best. Cheers to that!

Here are a few photos of the fruit:



Regards,
Asha

3 comments:

  1. Hey good job! I wish more sun for the plant. Root rot is a problem here in my garden as well. Nowadays it rains so frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if we can grow dwarf orange plants to bear fruit in the lowlands here. It is good to see your plant bear fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Steph and AB; thanks!

    Steph - Hope the Sun shines bright at that part of the Globe! Exposure to excess rain can damage the plants especially the ones in containers. I'm trying my best to save some of them. Let's see how that goes.

    AB - If hibiscus plants and lotus can grow, in my opinion, citrus plants can grow well too. I saw the hibiscus plants on your blog site, and oh, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget