Friday, September 2, 2011

Growing Strawberry Plants in Containers

During January this year, my young strawberry plant flowered and had a few fruits. From then onward, the plant has multiplied, and occupied the entire container. Recently, I had to replant a few runners in new containers. The plants have flowered again, and yes, they will have lovely fruits.


If you search the Internet, you'll see that there are three varieties of strawberries - June-bearing, Everbearing, and Day-neutral. The day-neutral ones are the smallest but delicious too. I'm trying to figure out to which variety my strawberry plant belongs to. Actually, I had two varieties of strawberry plants but only one variety survived. The one that survived had fruits in January and now in August. The fruits seem small but will they be delicious? Let's wait and taste.

I grow these plants in containers. I have a big plastic (recycled) containers that is about 10 inches deep. I made holes in the container to ensure good drainage. For the potting mixture, I have used Red mud, coco peat, horse manure, and sand. I spray Neem oil or diluted detergent mixture to the plants once or twice a month. I have placed the container in the shade of the Neem tree, facing the east direction. The plants get sufficient sunlight and shade.


I have tried to move the container from this location, but the plants seem to suffer, and so, I have retained the containers in the location that they seem to love. In my experience, these plants are fussy! Excess sunlight damages the leaves, excess shade makes them lazy. Excess water rots the roots, excess dryness withers the plants. To get the correct balance of all elements, one needs to observe these plants patiently and learn. Honestly, I do not think I've done good justice to these plants because I am still experimenting with them and learning. Therefore, every flower that blooms and every fruit that they bear thrills me.

I planted the plant at the center of the container; this allows the plants to grow from the center outward, and covers the entire container. Ensure that the soil does not cover the crown of the plants. Remove dried leaves, and check for pests. Aphids can cause a lot of damage. Oh, I feed the plants with vermi-compost, and that does wonders to the plants! Try the vermi-compost sometime, and let me know if your plants liked it.



Regards,
Asha

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your strawberry plants. We get strawberries from Ooty and other cool places, here in hot and humid Chennai. I didn't know they were fussy. Yet homegrown strawberries are probably worth all the effort. I hope your plants continue multiplying and producing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a harvest! Well done. I spray neem on my plants but the aphids still come! Seem to have a colony in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks great. I never knew that strawberry can be grown in containers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all.

    Anita - I love the ones from Pune. Oh, I have to narrate one incident. At Botanical Garden Ooty, I ate 1-2 berries that were growing wild and resembled strawberry; ended up having high fever. They weren't strawberries at all!

    Keats - Thanks for visiting! After you spray the pesticide, do not water the plants for about 20-24 hours. Preferably spray during the evenings. Or carefully hand-pick the aphids - time-consuming.

    Aabhaa - Thanks for stopping by! Oh, they grow beautifully even in hanging-baskets. Please search for 'Topsy Turvy 10 in. Plastic Strawberry Planter' or 'Topsy Turvy Strawberry Planter.' It's fun to see different types of containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asha,
    My search for strawberry plants have led me here. First of all, you have a nice garden. Congrats. Where can I source strawberry seeds/runners from?

    -- Aditya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Aditya. At India, we have a few varieties of strawberry (plant) that one can procure. You may want to check:

    http://strawberryplants.org/2011/02/strawberry-plants-grown-in-india/

    Also see http://strawberryplants.org/2010/05/strawberry-plants-for-sale-online/.

    If you are at Bangalore and want the plant, write to me at asha.raam@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asha.....

      This is rekha from Bangalore.
      Kindly let me know if want to buy a plant from you .how to reach you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rekha,

      Currently, I am not selling plants.

      Regards,
      Asha

      Delete
  7. Lovely green leaves! The white flowers are simple and sweet. And the strawberry already appearing?
    A good step by step procedure is always welcome to new entrants. And yes, these plants seem to demand attention!

    Lucky , you Bangaloreans, In Hyderabad, I can't think of such plants. Even Moossanda does not flower properly in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, WP, refused to let me comment as Gardenerat60:-)

    So I commented from my Google account. Vetrimagal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Pattu; strawberries appeared, and then disappeared into our stomachs. :-)

    Due to construction work at home, I've lost a few plants. The strawberry plants also have been affect. Trying to save them.

    Hyderabad heat is unbearable. How do you manage the terrace garden? May need to be watered multiple times?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Asha,
    We recently moved to chennai(from US)I had many varieties of strawberry plant back home and gave away everything and just kept the pot(Which i got it shipped). I am not able to find strawberry pants here in chennai. Could you pls. help me out? My dad is planning to visit bangalore next week. Pls. contact me @ vid_nand2002@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vidya, please check your email.

      Delete
  11. Nice to hear strawberries can be grown at home.
    What is the yeild per plant per month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I grow the plant for home consumption; haven't really checked yield per plant per month. But have noted your question, and will take a count the next time around.

      Delete
  12. Hi Asha,

    I stay in Bangalore. I would like to grow stroberry plants in containers at home. Could you please tell me where can I get the plants?

    Sasi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sasikala. Lalbagh nursery sells strawberry plants. Pls check with them about the availability. During August Flower Show, several nurseries put up stalls; for sure, one of them will have strawberry plants. All the best!

      Delete
  13. Hello,
    I have a couple of them too with me.I live in bangalore too.They are put in a huge pot(12" in depth,10" in diameter).I used red soil,coarse sand and manure for the mix.spraying neem oil regularly.the leaves are giving signs of nutritional deficiencies-purplish brown spots and edges especially on the underside on mostly older leaves.The soil consistency is quite balanced i guess-not very loamy or sandy.I dont want to use synthetic fertiliser.Also I am feeding it every 10-14 days with organic compost I have bought from lalbagh.Any hopes of saving this plant?No signs of recovery though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya, thanks for stopping by. Just browning of leaves may not be an issue; please do not cut the leaves extensively to prevent the browning of other leaves. Some info that I looked up the Net, and I hope the info is useful to you -

      http://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes-strawberry-leaves-turn-brown-77485.html

      http://gardening.about.com/od/fruitsberriesnuts/a/Strawberries.htm

      All the best!

      Delete
  14. Hi Asharam, can you let me know where I can get strawberry plants in Chennai. Regards Sriram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sriram, I'm unaware of nurseries at Chennai.

      Delete
  15. Hi I am looking for strawberry seeds or plant in bangalore pls let me know where can I get em


    Regs
    Rohit
    sam666r@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rohit,

      Lalbagh nursery has strawberry plants. I saw them during my previous visit; each container priced Rs. 50.

      Regards,
      Asha

      Delete
  16. got interest to grow strawberry after seeing this blog. Few tips for beginners plz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shalini,

      Strawberry plants are sensitive to heat. When you buy the plant, please check for its health; no pests under the leaves, roots healthy. The soil must be able to drain excess water easily. The spot in which you place the plant must have good ventilation and just about sufficient amount of sunlight. You can use vermi-compost or organic fertilizer. Spray organic pesticide depending on the need. All the best!

      Regards,
      Asha

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget