Sunday, January 29, 2012

New look of the terrace garden

It's taken a few weekends to bring the terrace garden back into a good shape. The plants seem to be reviving, and have settled down in their new spaces. Last week, I sowed seeds of tomato, carrot, brinjal, palak, bitter gourd, and others. The tomato, palak, and bitter gourd seeds have sprouted, and have grown about 2 inches. By next weekend, I may have to thin them down, and plant them in individual cells. Oh, I forgot to mention - I got some shallots that had sprouted, and have sowed them too. Hopefully, they grow into healthy plants.




The citrus plants have started flowering, and yes, the caterpillars are back to munch the leaves. I hand-picked a few of them. The strawberry plants have flowers; looks cute. The containers have slugs, which eat the berries. I was very tired to remove them; that's an action item for next weekend. I fed all the plants with NPK, though I had horse manure. The NPK will help them revive quicker; during next cycle, I can use the organic manure. 

I plucked a few leaves of Coleus Aromaticus plants (Doddapatre), to prepare chutney. I like the new collection of cactus plants. The Anthurium and hibiscus plants have new flowers. The Purple hibiscus needs a lot of care, and I hope she regains her health. The Bromeliad plants, which I thought would die, have sprung back to action. The jasmine plant has new shoots; waiting for awesome flowers this summer.




I clicked a few photos of the new look of the terrace garden. Here they are:




I had unique terracotta artifacts that got smashed by the fabrication workers. They are similar to monkeys - pull out plants, break artifacts or earthen containers, apply paint to leaves, steal orange, and dirty the whole terrace. I have painted a terracotta lantern, and have purchased a beautiful fountain, which I need to paint. I have cleaned the bird feed too. I am waiting for the fabrication guys to finish work and vanish so that everything on the terrace is safer. This weekend, I lost my temper and gave the workers a piece of my mind. 

All right, the last surviving terracotta artifacts are:




Gardening is fun and strenuous. You buy one plant, and that makes you a parent! Before buying a plant, please be prepared to give it quality time. :-)

Regards,
Asha

7 comments:

  1. You have a neat garden Asha! I like your systematic way of arranging the plants. That horse looks like it is eating the fern ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking very good; all the pots are arranged so neatly. But where is the fountain. I'd love to see it once you finish painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, your garden looks real Neat.
    And you are right about the workers; they are not concerned about the plants. I am dreading the next month, when work starts to fix the leakage from the terrace. I am not planting anything till I get the garden back in my care :(
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hungry horse! The other horse has a broken ear; looks cute too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anita, I shall soon upload the photo of the fountain (without the painting).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chitra, oh. Can you cover the plants with tarpaulin sheet, when the work beings? I couldn't; I regret now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All new and starting afresh. The garden looks very tidy and welcoming. the terracotta horse is welcoming with a majestic look.


    Pattu(gardenerat60)
    Sorry the WordPress option, is not allowing the comment to be published.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget