Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Propagate Anthurium from Parent Plant


In my blog about my Anthurium collection, I mentioned the Merrry Maroons. This plant is a beauty; produced a lot of flowers. The plant had suckers, which had over grown and had to be removed at the earliest. Today, I decided that I must remove the suckers, and then replant them. Will help save the parent plant and propagate new ones.

The Anthurium plants produce suckers at the base of the plants. They are called suckers because they take nutrition from the parent plant. Therefore, removing the suckers is important to keep the parent plant healthy.
The suckers can be removed when they have 3-4 leaves, and planted in suitable growing medium. Ensure that you do not hurt the parent plant when removing the suckers. This is one way to propagate Anthurium.

The growing medium must be able to retain substantial amount of water but well-drained. Coco husks, earthen pot pieces, saw dust, charcoal, coco peat, and other materials can be used to prepare the growing medium. The size of the containers depend on the size of the plant. For a young plant with 3-4 leaves, select a medium size container.

I got a few healthy plants to propagate and grow, as shown in the photo. :-)

Anthurium plants

For more information about Anthuriums, visit http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow%20or%20Growing%20Anthurium%20species.html.

Regards,
Asha

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for that very informative post. I also browsed through your previous Anthurium collection. After seeing the pictures I am really tempted to grow them. But do you think they will do well in Chennai's hot and humid climate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Asha! Happy New Year to you and family. I love anthuriums also. However, I have only one as I have no more space for another colour ;-) Thanks for sharing about how to propagate the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that informative post on Anthuriums. Your earlier post on your anthurium collection tempts me to grow them as well. But I wonder how they will do in Chennai's climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie, I got a chance to see a few gigantic tropical anthuriums. Now, I am head over heels in love with them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, yes, you can grow them at Chennai. The plants need shade or partial sunlight. Probably, keeping the plants under the shade of trees and spraying water at regular intervals (to beat the heat) will be wonderful. Pls try.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget