Saturday, February 18, 2012

Taking home a gardenia!

I had a list of things to do at the garden, but I did nothing other than watering and cleaning the terrace. I kept wondering how and where to plant the excess eggplant seedlings. I will require about 35 plus containers. Where will I keep them all? What kind of soil should I use so that terrace doesn't become heavy? Oh, lots of questions arose in my mind.

As a quick solution, I thought of using carton boxes to plant the seedling and use coco peat to keep them light. In the evening, we bought a few bags of coco peat, and I sealed the carton boxes so that the water and soil don't leak. Well, tomorrow's experiment is to fill the soil in these boxes and sow the seedlings. Let's see how the plants grow; will keep you posted. And, oh yes, I also sowed a few bulbs of gladiolus bulbs.

What's the blog title, you ask? Ah, I bought a gardenia plant; it was healthy - from leaves to root. I loved the White-colored flower and its shape. This plant loves the sun, and the humidity. The plant flowers during mid-summer or spring. The weather seems to be perfect for the plant to bloom flowers. I chose a plant that has buds (no bloomed flower); will be a pleasure to see them bloom, instead of seeing a flower dry. The plant, I understand, grows from 1 to 10 plus metres. I will have to plant it in a bigger container, and prune it regularly so that it becomes a bush instead of a tall plant/tree. Wish me luck with this new plant.

The Purple/Lavender-Red, the Orange, and the White-Pink hibiscus flowers had bloomed today. My husband showed me the reflection of the Orange-colored hibiscus in our kitchen window. I clapped my hands out of joy. When I went out to the terrace, I saw three different gorgeous hibiscus flowers greeting me. Oh, beautiful!





I hope you had a good day at your garden.

Regards,
Asha

9 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful hibiscus there. And good luck on your gardenia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for the gardenia to bloom and the photograph.
    Is it the flower that is offered to Shiva (Panneer Pushpam?)

    The Hibiscus are of such good color.

    Happy Gardening!

    Aha.. Captcha troubling my comment again

    Pattu,

    Gardenerat60

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother had gardenias in her garden, and they were beautiful. Here is too cold for them...they have such a lovely scent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the scent is intoxicating! Resembles the scent of coffee flowers - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jCcBG3Qek7A/Sflr033bS8I/AAAAAAAACJo/PJNjcZS97ws/s1600-h/coffeeflower.jpg.

    That's the photo of coffee flowers; the estate looked as though it was covered with White aromatic sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pattu, I think the panneer pushpam is plumeria. The photos of gardenia are good on this website:

    http://www.flowerspictures.org/flowers/gardenia/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely color of Hibiscus. Well, do you know the tamil, kannada, or malayalam name for gardenia? I have got a couple of stems and am trying to grow it. Where did you buy this in Bangalore Asha? Sumathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mahanandi blog site mentions the gardenia flower's name as Anantha Pushpa (Kannada). Pls see http://www.themahanandi.org/2010/05/22/garden-blooms-gardenia/.

    I bought the plant from a nursery at Siddapura, Jayanagar. This place is filled with nurseries that flaunt lovely plants. Ensure that you check, and then pick a healthy plant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Asha, thanks! It is called Sugandha Raj in malayalam! Got it from the link you gave. Wondeful, I am trying to grow Sugandha raj that I got it from my mum's garden last week. Keeping my fingers crossed, waiting for the roots to grow:-). Thanks for the info on the nursery, now that I know the flower's name in Kannda, can ask them. I have been trying to get this plant for long. You made my day, thanks! Sumathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sumathy, glad that the info was useful. There are dozens of these plants for sale @ Siddapura. Hope you get a beautiful and a healthy one.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget