Friday, March 9, 2012

Black eyed peas and amaranth leaves - curry

Hello, and Thank God it's Friday! Happy weekend.

The garden is kind of fine. We had many jasmine flowers this week. Those flowers are very fragrant, and can spread throughout the house. This plant looks like an octopus rather than a creeper. I haven't let the plant grow as a creeper; preferred to keep it pruned. Best part of such pruning is that, during flowering season, there are lots of flowers on the top of the plant. Looks stunning!

The amaryllis bud has grown in size. I am patiently waiting for the flower to bloom. I wonder which color this one is. The bleeding heart flowers are growing too. I have pruning this plant too; similar to jasmine plant. That makes me think that I need to invest time on building a trellis. Oh, that will be yet another elaborate project! I better finish the ones that I already have on hand.

Today, I got a basket full of amaranth leaves. I tried a new dish with it. I made a curry from these leaves and black eyed peas. Nutritious and tasty! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
2-3 Green or riped Red chillies (slit into two)
1 bunch amaranth leaves (or more)
1 cup black eyed peas (boiled)
2-3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
A little coriander (finely chopped)
1/2 lemon
1/2 cup freshly grated coconut (optional)
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
A pinch of hing

For seasoning:
1 teaspoon each of mustard seeds and cumin seeds
1 teaspoon each of urad dal and channa dal
2 teaspoons of cooking oil

Method:

Heat a pan, and add oil into it. When the oil is hot, add hing, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Add chopped  onions, garlic, and chillies. Stir fry until the onions turn Pink. Add the chopped amaranth leaves, and mix well. Sprinkle salt and sugar, and mix well. Cook this the leaves turn dark Green, and then add the boiled black eyed peas. Mix well with the leaves. At the end, add lemon juice and grated coconut. Serve with rice or bread or eat as a salad. (Because I was preparing this dish for dinner, I skipped the grated coconut.)

I hope you try this dish and enjoy it too.

Greens and other ingredients

Curry
Note: Photos clicked from mobile phone, and hence, not clear. Well, these days the digital SLR camera is banned from kitchen!

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Lovely and unusual mix of black eyed beans and Palak. A must try , next time when both are at hand.

    Simple too.

    Thanks.
    Pattu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a very simple dish. Instead of black eyed peas you can also use potatoes or green gram or french beans or paneer. :)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget