Friday, March 16, 2012

Summer flowers

Summer is a magic wand that blooms several buds in to beautiful flowers. The fragrance of these flowers spreads far and wide to mask the odor of sweat. Last evening, we had the first summer showers. Oh, the smell of wet mud was intoxicating! Well, to celebrate the first showers, my husband and I had ice cream. :-)

It's Friday, and Glenda is hosting the Fertilizer Friday. Visit her website and sites of participants; it's a visual treat.

We observed that a bandicoot has been visiting our terrace. One morning, I saw a broken pot and a few plants pulled out. The eggplants and radish plants were cut in pieces. The gladiolus bulbs were dug out. Oh, hurt to see the destruction! The garden has not yet recovered, and now, I have a new problem to deal with. I am yet to figure out a way to deal with this bandicoot.

The positive side is that several flowers have bloomed. One of my amaryllis plants has bloomed its first flowers. They look pretty. I clicked photos capturing the phases - bud to flower. All the four flowers have bloomed; seems to kiss each direction (North-South-East-West) and spread love. These flowers are double colored, as you see in the following photos. Two more amaryllis plants are yet to shoot out a flower stalk. Keeping my fingers crossed; hoping to see more pretty flowers.





Amaryllis flowers

The Bleeding Hearts (Clerodendrum thomsoniae) flowers have bloomed too; the White and Red flower bunches look attractive. I have pruned the plant for now, but may let it grow as a vine in future. All the creepers have received similar treatment. I know... I have to take up the project to build trellis, but I have other important tasks to complete.

The Alcea flower that has bloomed this week is Pink in color. The White ixora plant also has flower bunches. I like the Green (leaves) and White (flowers) combination. Oozes peace. The Anthurium plants that I propagated from the parent plant has buds now. I guess that I did something very right!

Bleeding hearts

Hollyhock

Ixora

Hope your garden is in full bloom! Happy weekend.

Rake and Spade's Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rake-and-Spade/121438704599293

Regards,
Asha

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I have some buds on my Amaryllis in the garden....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauties! All of them. I have a few zinnias right now... but they're on their way out. I think I need to have a few more flowers in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...what a pretty post!!! I am loving all of the gorgeous flowers you shared!
    I love spring!!!
    Thanks so much for linking in this week...I always look forward to seeing what each of you guys post...I am sharing your post today on the Tootsie Time Facebook page as well.
    hugs from Alberta Canada!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Asha, your amaryllis is very beautiful, i wish i can find some bulbs of that color. I only have the bright orange-red color, which we have a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! your blooms are amazing! Thanks for sharing! Love your blooms! So nice to see you on Ferlizer Friday
    ¸..·*´¨¨~-:¦:-
    ¸.·´ ..·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ *-:¦:- Paula -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

    Idaho USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nandavanam , and a scented one too!
    Amaryllies, Bleeding hearts. and white Ixora, stunning and spreading the warmth, through your pictures.

    Pattu
    Gardenerat60 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too had bandicoot problem, but in the ground floor, while we did not have the dog for a brief 3 months.. They ate up the Banana plants!.

    How do they come on to the terrace? sad..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely amaryllis lily blooms, I have the full red one which is in bloom now, missed its full bloom :(
    sorry to read about your gladioli
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the first blooms of your amaryllis! Love that sweet hollyhock also. Enjoy all the beautiful flowers :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Darla. Pls post pics of you amaryllis!

    Thanks, Anita. Useful website that lists summer flowers: http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/garden-frame.html

    Thanks, Tootsie, for hosting the Fertilizer Fridays; helps us connect with other gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Andrea. oh, the orange-red color will be pretty! Will visit your blog site to see a photo of the flower.

    Thanks, Paula. Welcome to my little garden. :)

    Thanks, Pattu. It's attracting a few butterflies too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have now added another staircase to the terrace, Pattu. The staircase leads down to the wash area (downstairs). I'm doubting that the bandicoot climbs up from this area expecting food upstairs (also). The bandicoot is is having fun exploring this new area (terrace), and getting naughty! :)

    Thanks, Chitra. That's the fantastic Red, I hope! The remaining gladiolus plants may flower in a while.

    Thanks, Stephanie. Two more hollyhock plants are due to bloom flowers. Let's see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of these lovely flowers. You may like to post your flower photos on my Floral Friday Fotos meme:

    http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, beautiful flowers. Liked the bleeding hearts. Sad to hear about the destructions of the bandicoots. Regards, Sumathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Nix! Your photos of flowers are beautiful!

    Thanks, Sumathy! Sigh... I have now coined my garden's current state as 'garden in progress.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely post and a visual treat:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget