Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Evening tea amidst plants and other things

I hope all of you are doing fine, and that your plants are healthy.

This evening, I put a cane chair at the terrace garden with an intention to sip my cup of hot and strong tea. I stood for sometime to observe my surrounding. The Sun was getting ready to close his shop. The birds were returning home, and calling their young ones to come home. The tender coconut vendor, on the roadside, was also packing up for the day. The road, however, was busy with several vehicles plying. The road will be peaceful only past midnight; I wonder how tired it would be by them.

I looked around and felt awesome to see my plants at their best. It's been raining cats and dogs here; the plants seem to like the rain especially after super hot days. The leaves are showcasing their best colors. The flowers bloom beautifully. Most containers have saplings and offshoots, which is great. Now I need to plan an expansion of the terrace garden to accommodate the saplings. With expansion comes more responsibility, and I don't think I'm ready for it. :-)

With rain comes the pests. Well, the eggplant plants attract a variety of bugs, and ho, such healthy ones! If I spray pesticide, the rain washes it. I have no choice but to handpick the bugs, which is a time-consuming act. I have to wait for a day when the rain is on vacation, and then spray pesticide. I have also observed some sort of a worm inside containers that are placed in shade or on the platform that is gloomy and wet. I am unable to identify this worm; let me try to upload a photo of the worm. It seems to be destroying my Hydrangea plants. I know, I know... I need to take action as soon as possible!

The Kite family, which resides on one of the trees at our neighbor's trees, is happy. The young ones have learned to fly; the parents sit on one of the pipes on another neighbor's terrace, and watch its young ones fly. It's beautiful to watch the parents from my kitchen. This evening one of the young ones sat on a wire but was struggling to free itself and fly away. I watched (instead of running for my camera). Ah, that fighter, struggled hard and set one leg free, and then the other leg was free. And then the big bird flew!

So much activity happens every single day, but I'm not home to experience it. So, this evening, I saw peacefully on the chair, and sipped the tea with satisfaction. I'm grateful to the plants, trees, birds, and smaller animals that had brought such peace in me. Our terrace is no longer a barren and hot place. It is now filled with lovely plants and life. That that brings me immense joy. After the remaining construction work gets complete, the terrace will look awesome. Waiting to experience that!

This blog was only words; will share photos in my next blog.

Regards,
Asha

8 comments:

  1. I recently had such an occasion with my kids at night. The jasmines were blooming and the scent mingled with that of the Rangoon creeper ... Lucky for me the kids were also enjoying peacefully. Wow, it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Asha,

    Nice post. I could visualize the plants, birds, trees that you mentioned...
    regards,
    sumathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rains!! Wow.
    A lovely post Asha. Reading it made me feel peaceful. I am sure it is a heaven in the evenings in the garden. Waiting for the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chitra, that must have been a serene experience especially because both flowers are aromatic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sumathy, glad you liked the article. Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Pattu; we received good amount of rain. At least the evenings and nights are pleasant. Well, the mornings are still humid. I guess that the plants like such a weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting problem with bugs. It even rained hailstones near Banashankari (where I reside) and my plants are doing fine. I suggest you apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly to the container that has Hydrangea. This will lead the worm to slip and fall off you container before reaching the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will try that trick, Sri Ranjani; thanks. Today, I sprayed pesticide to all the plants. Let's hope the damage isn't too much.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget