Thursday, June 7, 2012

Allamanda Cherries Jubilee

One of the friends of my mother had a Golden Trumpet or Buttercup flower vine. We were kids, and loved to pluck those fragrant Yellow flowers. How much ever we plucked, the vine still had flowers in abundance. Wow, I could exclaim. From then on, I wanted to grow this vine some day.

During the previous year or so, I went to Indo-American Hybrid Seeds plant nursery, and I was pleasantly surprised to see varieties of the Allamanda Cathartica vines. They sported the White ones, dull Purple ones, dull Orange ones, and Yellow ones. The Yellow ones are the most fragrant; however, I was attracted to the dull Purple ones. I should have purchased one vine, but didn't.

On another day, I bought the Purple vine at a different nursery. The vine was tiny - with 4 or 5 leaves. I planted it in a big earthen container, and let it grow without any support. I prepared the soil mixture by adding a good portion of Red mud, a little portion of sand, coco peat, and manure. There was a period when I thought that the vine would die. But it sprung back to life; umm, the vine is truly a survivor.

Today, the vine has grown taller than I am. I have stuck a wooden staff in the soil, as a support, and tied the vine to the support. This summer is the vine's first year of flowering. The vine loves warm weather. The first flower bloomed today, and was I pleased to see the buds and flower! Hopefully, this beautiful vine grows stronger and blooms several flowers, which will be the envy of everyone passing by. :-)


Well, I have a big task on my hand - to figure out how and where all my vines/creepers should climb. Should I get permanent trellis made? Should I use long bamboo sticks as support? Should I let the vines climb on to the roof-top? By the time I find answers to these questions, I pray that the pending construction work gets completed.

For photos of different varieties, see Allamanda - TopTropicals.

Let me know if you have Allamanda vine at your garden.

Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. Those are pretty looking flowers. My neighbor has this plant or I should call it a tree now since hers so big that the tips are reaching her 2nd floor landing? As it happens even she found this plant in Indo American that is like a street away from where I live and she has trained this plant to grow against a plain windowless portion of the wall in her building and it definitely adds to the decor of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a yellow Allmanda plant , but died last year. I love those big flowers and cheerful color.

    but this one, is such a pretty color. Have a good time growing this!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sri Ranjani! I can only imagine how lovely the flowers may look on the building. Ah, a street away from the nursery; that's being lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pattu! Sorry to know about your creeper. Well, you must get another one more Allamanda creeper for your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget