Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Creepers and trellises

Happy Independence Day, India! 

I have a few creeper that grow on our terrace garden. Well, it's no secret that I hadn't provided supports for the creeper to grow on. For a few creepers, trellis are provided - crude or otherwise. For other creepers and grape vines, I am yet to build trellis or train them to grow on the iron pillars.

For the Madhunashini creeper, I used a scaffolding wooden pole, and trained the creeper to grow on it. At the top of the pole, the creeper forms a circlet or a wreath. Any new off-shots are also made to form the wreath. This method helps the creeper look full, and when the flowers blooms, the wreath seems to be made of leaves and flowers. Pretty. 


Note: I have drawn line and circle to denote the pole and the creeper respectively.


For the red-stemmed Basella rubra, I have just used a small scaffolding wooden pole for the creeper to climb. This is a delicate creeper, and the pole can easily support the weight. When the creeper grows taller and thicker, I plan to train them to climb the thick iron wire that I have tied on the parapet wall.


For the Red passion flower creeper, the trellis is made of electrical PVC pipes with T joints. Ram and I were wondering how to make trellis from available material, and voila, we came up with this model of the trellis. It's detachable, and therefore easy to store. You can also increase the trellis in height by adding more pipes and joining with the T-joints. Well, word of caution is that the pipes are light weight; may not resist strong wind. This creeper can grow like a giant. When that happens, I plan to prune it first, and then train it to climb the roof. 


Note: I have drawn lines to indicate the pipes and the T-joints.

For the purple Allamanda creeper, it's very simple. Initially, I had a tall electrical pipe acting as a support. After the patio was covered with metal frame and tiles, the creeper leans against one of the iron poles. I have tied the creeper to the pole, and ensured that all the off-shots also climb the pole. The flowers look beautiful against the Black color of the iron pole. When the creeper grows bigger, will be easy for it to climb the tiled roof. Waiting for it to grow and flaunt all its flowers on the roof!


Note: That's the weaver bird's nest, which the bird had abandoned. 

For the bougainvillea creeper and the jasmine creeper, I have similar plans. To train them to grow on the iron frame that forms the patio wall, and then encourage them to grow on the tiled roof. There is so much space for them to grow on the tiled roofs. I would love to prune the bougainvillea creeper short instead of letting it grow as a creeper. The jasmine creepers are pruned and short; however, I would love them to grow wild and climb the roof. Let's see what I'll finally think of. Funny, how fickle the mind is. 

Well, our terrace garden seems to always be in 'work-in-progress' or 'under construction' status, or sometimes an invisible board reads, 'Experiment in progress; enter at your own risk!'. :-)

Let me know what kind of trellises you use at your garden.

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Hi Asha, Thanks for the blog. I was searching for the Madhunashini plant. My mother is suffering from diabetes. I know about it's medicinal values. but not able to get the plant. Can You help me? I stay at Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Niraj. I found 'Milind Herbs,' when I searched for nurseries at Mumbai that may have the Madhunashini plant.

      Pls check the URL, http://www.indiamart.com/company/3673510/, for more details. Hope this info helps.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget