Monday, August 13, 2012

Our terrace garden - updates


Hello! I hope you had a great weekend, and that your garden is growing prettier day after day.

Well, I had a hectic weekend; cleaned the garden and also replanted a few plants. The rain has a magical effect on the plants; the plants look clean and revived. The buds appear, bloom, and wither away, making way for new buds. It's amazing to watch this process.

Have I told you about the Bulbuls that sing near our kitchen? Ah, they sit on the telephone cable that is in front of our neighbor's house, and sing in the morning. The funny thing is about their timing - between 7:00 am to 7:30 am. That's the time that I'm cooking and packing lunch for office. It's so beautiful to watch the birds sit and sing (or call others).

Oh yes, I baked a cake, and it was yummy; inspires me to bake more. It's the Victoria Sponge Cake by Tarla Dalal; was it easy! Next on my baking list are: Fig-Lemon Teatime cake, Apple crumble, Banana cake, Melting moments biscuit, and simple bread. The list seems delicious, isn't it? Do tell me if you bake; would love to try your recipe. :)


Now back to my little terrace garden. We had back-breaking work at the garden. My husband, Ram, pruned our mango tree so that the terrace could receive sufficient sunlight. The mango tree has been infected with pests, and it's better to prune it and treat it before the next season. The Anthurium plants that were beneath the mango tree receive good sunlight.

I had sowed the Gladiolus blubs (, which I bought from Norway,) in whichever container I could find. Ahoy, they started growing quickly, and I replanted them in a separate container. I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that these plants flower. From a strawberry plant that survived the house extension stress, I got a few saplings, which I planted in separate containers. Well, as you know, my strawberry plants are fussy; I wish they like the new containers and the new place in which I have placed them.

Next, the two Aubergine plants were growing in carton boxes, and had outgrown the space. Now, these plants grace two different earthen containers. And yes, I harvested one lovely Aubergine. And guess what... I got six onions from one onion that I had planted. The coriander plants have survived; lost one or two due to rain. The spinach leaves look healthy. The lemon plant has more lemons than leaves!

The potatoes plants look tall and majestic. The tomatoes plants are cramped in one long container; didn't have the energy to move them to different containers. A few of these plants have tiny Yellow flowers. Yay, the curry plants survived! The flowering plants resemble beauty contestants, flaunting their lovely flowers. Everything looks wonderful at the terrace garden.



Will post more updates about trellis and new plants, in the next blog.

Regards,
Asha

5 comments:

  1. Love the hibiscus blooms. I wish I had the space to be able to keep some indoors over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibiscus flowers are so pretty; they tend to brighten the surroundings. They grow well in Bangalore's climate, and that way I'm just lucky. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Asha. Thumbs up for the hard work and dedication :)

    I have got similar bougainvillea, yellow hibiscus, and pink button rose plants. Unfortunately, I am not giving my plants as much care and attention as you :(

    Need some inspiration from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deepti. Usually, the rainy season acts like a balm to all the plants. I am sure your plants will revive. :)

      Delete
  3. You have been busy, Asha. Looking forward to your flowers from Norway.

    Right now your Hibiscus are the toast . Lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget