Sunday, October 7, 2012

Growing Peacock Orchids

When we visited Norway, I saw the Gladiolus callianthus 'Murielae' bulbs (by Nelson Garden). The plants seemed like the Gladiolus. Even though I was skeptical about whether the bulbs would grow at Bangalore or not, I bought the bulbs. This plant is also known as Peacock Orchid. :-)



After returning to Bangalore, one day, I noticed that the bulbs had shoots. I planted a few of the bulbs in an earthen container. The soil mix has red mud, coco peat, and horse manure. The container also has a firecracker plant. The container receives sunlight in the morning and afternoon; gets sufficient shade because it is under the shade of the Neem tree. The shoots grew into green slender blades. For a long time, I didn't see signs of any bud.


Last week, one of the plants had buds. As always, I was thrilled, and showed the buds to my husband and my mother. One after another, the buds bloomed. At night, the flowers look stunning, and have a delicate fragrance. I stare at the flowers, and recollect our visit to Norway and all the lovely garden stores and florists. The florists not just sell cut-flowers, but also sell or flaunt a variety of plants and bulbs. If my wish can turn true, I wish to have a spring-summer house at the Nordic countries!



Also see this useful article, Growing the Peacock Orchid.


I guess that my this experiment was successful; encourages me to try growing plants from different parts of the world.

Regards,
Asha

8 comments:

  1. Lovely!... I love souvenir plants, they have always been some of the dearest in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to visit your blog to view your recent collection of plants.

      Delete
  2. Its a beautiful flower. Happy gardening

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Asha..
    I really appreciate ur love towards plants and nature !! keep it up.. by the way I am a HR professional from Gurgaon.. during my visit to Bangalore just wondering if I can get 1-2 bulbs of the same (peacock orchid)
    Govindraj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Govindraj, and welcome to the blog site! I have only the mother plant; yet to more bulbs. Meanwhile, I think you can purchase online at Nelson website.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget