Monday, November 19, 2012

Orchids Flower Show 2012 - The Orchid Society of Karnataka - Lalbagh, Bangalore


During the week, one of my friends called to inform about the Orchids Flower Show that was to be held at Lalbagh on November 16 and November 17, 2012. "Yay!," I exclaimed. My husband and I visited the show on Sunday, November 17. Were we glad!

The tickets for the show (other than the botanical garden entrance tickets) were priced Rs. 50 per head. The minute we entered the exhibition hall, oh, several varieties of orchids popped on our face to greet us; such lovely and rare colors of orchids! The main attraction was Paphiopedilum (Slipper Orchid).

We examined flower by flower, and clicked a few photos. Yes, the flowers had attracted not bees but instead several photographers stuck to the flowers. Along with the native variety of orchids, the society also displayed orchids from China and Thailand. I am sure that, by the end of the day, the orchids would have grown shy of us, humans.

The society had a sales counter, selling orchids plants, planting material, and books. Members of the society were friendly and educated the buyers about the plants and maintenance. Dr. Sadanand N Hegde conducted a lecture session about growing orchid and caring for them, for enthusiasts. He not only introduced each variety of orchids, but also explained in detail about their growing habits, controlling pests, propagating methods, and fertilizing the plants.

The society has a Google Group - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/toskar. You must be a member to access the groups. To get details about membership to this society, email to toskar@googlegroups.com.

The Krishnendra Nursery at Siddhapura, Bangalore had exhibited their collection of orchids; sold plants too.  The nursery’s address: 9-159, 1st Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore

Indo American Hybrid Seeds, Bangalore also has lovely collection of orchids. The address is: Post Bag No. 7099, 17th Cross, 2nd 'A' Main, K.R. Road, Banashankari II Stage, Bangalore

As always, I'll let the photos do the talking.





See the news article: Native orchids steal the show

Regards,
Asha

13 comments:

  1. OMG, what a bunch of fantastic orchid blooms. I love orchids, but only grow one at a time. I wish I had a greenhouse to grow more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my mind looking at all those colors. I hope your dream of having a greenhouse comes true! :)

      Delete
  2. I like those slipper orchids also. They are really pretty. I am happy that you went to the show! The orchids are gorgeous :-D Have a great weekend Asha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the one in the first photo - left bottom. It looks like a cute face with cute eyes and a bow on head. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! superb collection! Thanks Asha, for these lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In real, the flowers look stunning. Photos tend to limit the beauty of orchids.

      Delete
  4. the orchids are beautiful! And so many varieties! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just trying to imagine how many varieties of orchids exist world-wide, and how beautiful they would be!

      Delete
  5. Arati, I understand that the society plans to have more shows throughout the year or at least make the event an annual one. Next time around, I am sure there will be more orchids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And there was OrchidTree with Fantastic collection of different varieties of orchids. Address: No 59, Thanisandra Main Road, Railwaymen Layout, Near K.Narayanapura Cross, Hegdenagar, Bangalore, Karnataka, 560077, Tel:+91-9880696417, 7829564767
    www.fb.com/orchidtreebangalore
    www.orchid-tree.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget