Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Holi with Flowers and Fruits

Happy Holi - festival of colors! If you go around the city today, you'll see multi-colored faces either drenched in colorful water or smeared with dry colors. It's fun though!

On our terrace garden, the plants seems to play a different game of colors - by blooming colorful flowers. Yesterday, one of the the Yellow hibiscus buds bloomed, and today another one bloomed. The flower is big and beautiful; the Yellow color makes the flower resemble a mini Sun. So I took out my camera, and clicked a photo of it.


When I was walking around to see which other flower to capture, I saw the Purple, the Pink-White, and the Magenta hibiscus flowers. Yes, the Amaryllis flowers have bloomed completely. The bunch of Magenta roses looked cute together. The ripe Orange fruit was drooping down. Oh, the little strawberries were hiding beneath the leaves!


Note: Strawberry plants are available at the Lalbagh nursery, Bangalore.



The Neem trees has countless flowers. The flowers are edible, but bitter to taste. I like to eat the flowers; sometimes the tender leaves. Will write more about the Neem later. I also have to tell you about the plants at the windowsill. :-)


Enjoy the remaining days of the week!

Regards,
Asha

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank, Sharon. I absolutely loved the color of the flower on the mother plant, and immediately bought a cutting. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Asha, how beautiful! The flowers so striking and I love them all. Looking at the strawberry, I can imagine the nice temperature you have. Enjoy the weather. Over here is always really hot. Otherwise it will wet or cloudy. Have a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting hotter here; scorching summer! On some days, the plants require watering twice a day. We had rains last week; praying for more rains this week. Happy week ahead. :)

      Delete
  3. such a lovely yellow! how apt to showcase the colours of the flowers on the occasion of holi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Arati. That yellow is a happy color.

      Delete
  4. Hi Asha, Loved your blog and the hibiscus too.. I am an evolving green thumb in New Delhi India and trying my hand in gardening within the little space in my balcony.

    would love to be in touch.

    Kaivi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kaivi. All the best to you! Plants can become one's best friends. It's a strange but beautiful relationship that can brew between plants and its care-taker. Enjoy the new relationship. :)

      Delete
  5. lovely colors of your garden, especially the yellow hibiscus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some thing about the color yellow, I guess. Reminds me of the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" sung by Perry Como. :D

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget