Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Patches & Peaches Adopt Us


Yes, that's correct. Patches and Peaches adopted us this morning. Who are they? They are cute stray kittens. They have been at our house since yesterday, and my father-in-law has been feeding them milk. He has also tried to feed them biscuits, but the kittens aren't old enough to eat/chew. I had no idea about all this happening.

This morning my husband told me about the kittens, and asked, "Do you want to keep them upstairs with us?" I wanted to ask him, "Are you OK?" Previously, when I wanted to have a pet, he had strongly refused because we didn't have the time to look after a pet; both of us have hectic schedules. But today, his question surprised me. I was excited, and followed him to the kittens (forgot about cooking and getting ready for work). Oh, they were cute but stinking! 

Ram put them inside a cane basket and got them upstairs. The kittens are weak and shiver. Wonder how they came to our house. Did their mother abandon them at our house or what? The kittens looked adorable when they explored our house and stared at us when we spoke to them. The climbed on the pots and jumped down.

I put sheets of paper inside a big basket assuming that they'll stay and to keep them warm. Well, these rowdies want to walk and play, and make us talk to them. We fed them milk, left them at our porch, and let them select a warm spot for themselves. When we left home for work, both of them had cuddled and were sleeping.

These kittens need a lot of love and care for a month or two. After that period, they'll not stay inside the porch or house; will go out to explore the neighborhood just like teenagers. The cats are unlike dogs; I have had a German Shepherd for about 13 years. I know the dynamics with dogs, but with cats, I have no idea how to grow them. All I can expect is a lot of homework from now on!



Thanks to my friend, Vandana, for giving me tips about nurturing the kittens. I am sure to bug her for more information during the following days and months. I would also love to read suggestions from you!

When we return home today, hopefully, we find Patches and Peaches as peaceful as angels. *Fingers crossed!*

Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. Hi Asha,

    I have had a long experience of having kittens at home.it was a time when the no. reached to 14 as I never allowed anyone in the family to give them to relatives who were interested to adopt. They were like generations (nani, mommy, masi ) all living together and used to follow my mother all the time specially in the kitchen.

    They all made our life nuts and finally mom gave some of the young kittens to our relative who lived close by. Though I was really reluctant.

    You are going to have real fun with them..

    let me know if u need any particular tips. I am almost a PHD when it comes to Cats. :D

    All the best

    Kaivi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaivi; will drop an email. How did you manage 14 cats? You should write about them. Please!

      Delete
  2. Anytime.. and yes its a good idea. let me jot down my experiences..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experiences will be valuable for pet keepers esp the new ones. Pls share the link to your blog about your pet cats and their musings. Good day!

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget