Friday, April 12, 2013

Ugadi (New Year) Garden Update :-)

Happy Ugadi/New Year to those celebrating! May there be new merry beginnings.

I'm participating in Tootsie's Fertilizer Friday. :-)


Our Neem trees looks lush and green. I love to eat the tiny flowers. Of course, they are bitter, but I love the taste. Our mango tree has a few mangoes, which our dear friends (parrots, other birds, squirrels) enjoy. I am not sure if they leave a fruit or two for us. But that's OK.

Previously I mentioned about planting four banana plants. You must look at them now; they have grown taller and healthier. One of them is shorter than the others; its leaves are darker and has brown patches on the leaves. The papaya plant (a hybrid one) has also grown. I am just waiting for these plants to bear fruits. Oh, that day will be fun!


You remember about the gardenia that I planted last year? A fragrant and fabulous surprise was the new blooms of gardenia plant. I absolutely love this plant. The other plants that gift fragrant flowers are the jasmine (the bud has a maroon cover) and the bridal bouquet (BB). This BB was such a tiny plant when I bought her; wondered if she would survive. Lucky me; she survived all right! Though the hibiscus plants have been attacked by pests, they seem to be blooming flowers. And yes, I am still in quest for a permanent solution to ward off white flies. My heart aches when the pests damage the plants.


About the vegetables growing at our terrace garden, I harvested one bitter gourd and the others are ready; harvested a few cherry tomatoes. Planted potatoes and ginger. Both are growing and saying a Hello to the Sun. I have scattered a few seeds of red vine spinach, and voila, they have sprouted. The seedlings look fresh; love the redness of their stems. In the same container, the ginger plants are growing. Yes, I need to move the vine spinach seedlings to different containers.


That's all from us. Happy weekend!

Regards,
Asha

10 comments:

  1. Oh hi Asha, are you from Bangalore? So this tree native to our country is also found there. I also didn't know that Bangalore has cold temperatures, thought it is also tropical. I just suppose its cold because you can grow potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. Yes, Bangalore has climate similar to tropic regions; during Nov-Feb, weather is cold but no snow. This summer seems to be the hottest; praying for rains. The beauty of Bangalore is its climate - magical. Lovely to grow a variety of fruits, flowers, and vegetables.

      Sadly, we have turned the city, Garden City, into silicon one and a concrete jungle. But the good news is that several people are making an effort to grow plants - on balconies, terraces, and ground. Hopefully, one day we learn from Cuba about urban farming, and help return the charm of Bangalore.

      Delete
  2. Wow this is group of plants are very alluring. Good job Asha. I haven't smell gardenia for a long time. I wish I am able to smell it from here haha... You have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie! Thanks. There may come a day on which we can use technology to smell, touch, and taste across the Internet. Have a fun week ahead. :)

      Delete
  3. Your plants look so happy and lush!
    White flies are the worst! I hate it when you water and get disturbed and fly all over! I read somewhere that when you water the affected plant use a hose and hose the plant down, under the leaves too, to make them fly and in the process they get wet and die/drown. By killing the adults you stop the cycle of egg laying. Of course, don't expect to get rid of all of them at the same time. You have to continue as the eggs hatch to.
    That's what I do anyway. Haven't had them in quite awhile. Good luck to you!
    Oh, my mother in law had issues with them years ago. She used Tanglefoot on painted yellow sticks she stuck in the ground near the plants. The whiteflys are attracted to yellow.. Tanglefoot is a sticky substance, she put some all over the sticks and the flys got stuck in it and died.
    Just happened to remember that. :)
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! They like Yellow? That's a nice secret to know. :)

      Hand-picking the bugs has been strenuous and time-consuming. Organic pesticides seem to be milder. I do not what to use chemicals; may damage the good bugs. I will search for Tanglefoot (or its equivalent) at Bangalore (where I live), or check if I can procure the insect barrier online.

      Hope I get lucky. Will keep you posted.

      Delete
  4. Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Such wonderful plants you have, and they seem to be thriving. Fragrant flowers and plants are so soothing. I have lemon thyme, and I never can just leave them alone. I'm always breaking off a twig of leaves to smell over and over again. Just like lemon drop candy. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with the lemon grass especially on days when I need to relax my mind. Tear a piece of lemon grass, twist the piece, and smell it. What a therapy! :D

      Delete
  5. lovely harvest. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arati. Wishing you a very happy New Year too.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget