Sunday, June 9, 2013

First Bloom of Football Lily or May Flower

We call this flower, May Flower, only because it blooms during May. This plant’s common names are Football Lily or African Bloody Lily; scientific name is Scadoxus multiflorus. One of my mom’s neighbors has planted several bulbs, and when the flowers bloom, they are strikingly beautiful.

I bought the plant this year; one big bulb sat at the center of the container. Seemed very Zen to me! Then, *Pop* came a stalk with the bud, and the bud bloomed. If you closely observe the flower, it is constructed in a symmetric fashion and with individual units coming together to form a whole. I always wonder about Mother Nature’s creativity, and prostrate before Her. 

After the flowering season, the plant dries; waits for the next season. One bulb would have multiplied too many. And it’s always lovely to have more plants and flowers at one’s garden, isn’t it?


Happy new friendships with a variety of plants!

Regards,

Asha

6 comments:

  1. Hello Asha, it is so wonderful to see these Football lilies here! Though we have this plant also, it is not often that they will bloom. It must have been so fun to watch the flower buds opening one by one ;-) and yes it is 'zen' to me too. Happy gardening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. When it rains, the raindrops sit on the flower. Oh that's beautiful! It's like diamonds caught in between flower spikes.

      Delete
  2. oh wow now its almost not seen... in our childhood we used to pluck 2 frm plenty n play with it like pompoms :) r u frm bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm from Bangalore :)

      Delete
    2. Hello Asha please help me to get this plant/bulb. i tried but failed till now. I am from bangalore.

      Delete
    3. Currently, Lalbagh nursery has these bulbs. I'm not sure about our nurseries. Please also check online stores such as NurseryLive.com or BigBasket.com.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget