Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Enhancing our land garden

Hello! Happy Hump Day! :)
 
You've been reading about our terrace garden and the experiments. Now, I shall also write about my humble attempt to clean up the land garden and enhance it. I am grateful to my father-in-law for allowing me to experiment growing plants at the land garden.
 
Our land garden has a lot of trees; will talk about that later. There is space that can be used for growing smaller plants and shrubs. Well, tricky for plants to grow because of the shade from trees. My main intention was to maintain the existing plants/trees, and grow plants that can blend and attract more bees, birds, and butterflies.
 
What also crossed my mind was the fact that the land space could be used to grow herbs and vegetables. That's something beautiful and useful for the family! Firstly, the soil had to be suitable for plants. The soil also has a lot of earthworms due to the vermi-compost that I have been using. The rains that we received are like my best friends, helping me by loosening soil and enriching it.
 
One beautiful morning, I started digging the ground and sowing seeds/plants. Almost every morning, I work for 20-30 mintues at a specific area of the garden. Of course, Kitty accompanies me; she loves to garden too! She can dig with her tiny paws and run around with twigs in her mouth. :)
 
The dried leaves get collected in a two-tier cement rings, which are used for water wells. The termites do a fantastic job on decomposing the dried wood. This new garden will take at least six months to grow. I am in no hurry; let the plants take their time to grow healthy.

Area under the eucalyptus tree
Herbs - mint, fenugreek, spinach
Tomato, pepper, egg plant, avocado
Regards,
Asha

6 comments:

  1. All the best for developing this area. Hope to see the results in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting. I really wish if you could post bigger pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kept the photos small intentionally. As the garden progresses, will post better photos. :)

      Delete
  3. Sharadha NarayananWednesday, August 28, 2013

    Hi Asha,
    Great blog! What are the flowers near the Eucalyptus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharadha. Those flowers are impatiens; grows and multiples easily too. Please see this http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/impatiens/.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget