Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gerbera Daisies

The Gerbera Daisies have bloomed today; I see another tiny bud emerging. This daisy is know as Gerbera jamesonii. I like the local varieties because they are hardy when compared to the hybrid ones. And... The local ones have more flowers than the hybrid (at normal growing conditions, in my opinion). During 2011, our terrace garden has a few varieties of hybrid gerbera plants, which died eventually due to severe pest attack. 
 
The local variety gerbera that I currently have blooms Red flowers. I bought a tiny plant, wondering if the plant would survive. Well, it did manage to survive! During the flowering season, one after another, the buds emerge and bloom. I want to let the plant multiple further so that I can transfer in to several containers or on to the land garden.

This daisy happens to be a favorite among floriculturists, cultivating flowers inside polyhouses. I found an interesting article, "Gerbera cultivation in polyhouse." Also see Package of Practices for Growing Gerbera.
 
 
Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget