Thursday, October 17, 2013

Nun's Orchid - Phaius Tankervilliae/Phaius Grandifolius

Happy Friday, my friends!

I've had the Nun's Orchid for a while now. Previous year this plant didn't bloom flowers due to lack of my care. However, this year the plant seems to be happy, and has gifted us lovely fragrant flowers. Well, because of the hooded flowers, the plant's called Nun's Orchid. :)

I grow the Nun's orchid in an earthen container. To the base of the container, I have put broken pieces of earthen pot. As potting material, I've used red mud, coco peat, sand, and manure; randomly scattered charcoal on the top layer of the soil. Just a month before the flowering season, I add a few crystals of NPK or a handful of vermi compost.
 
The plant has long and wide pleated Green leaves. They are Green throughout the year. Water when the soil is dry, or water a little every day. The plant is hardy and adapts easily. After the flowering season, I hope to split the pseudo bulbs and move them in to separate containers. Let's see how that goes.

Nun's Orchids
Joining Fertilizer Friday and Floral Friday Fotos!

Regards,
Asha

12 comments:

  1. How very neat! I am totally unfamiliar with this plant... it's lovely! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing orchids, they're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of this type of orchid before, the flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! I never knew orchids were so varied until I moved to New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. Will visit your blog to see a glimpse of New Zealand's flora :)

      Delete
  5. lovely orchids, what do you use for drainage at the bottom of the pots? Are the broken earth pot pieces enough to stop the soil coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Chitra. The broken pieces suffice. For some containers, I also mix broken pieces of earthen pot and charcoal (from burnt coconut husk).

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just extremely beautiful.I have a yellow variety of the common ground orchids.They are non fussy but exotic nevertheless.
    Where did you get these from?I would love to add some to my little garden too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vidya. I think I bought this one either from Coorg or Kerala some place.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget