Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bromeliad, Kalanchoe, and Lablab Beans :-)

Hello! Have a great Hump Day!
 
It's amazing how plants adapt to seasons. This season our another variety of Bromeliad plants have flowered. Though I've had these plants for almost two years, only this season did the plants decide to gift us flowers. What I did to help the plants bloom flowers: 1) Changed the soil; included animal manure, 2) Kept the plants under our Neem tree; because the Neem tree dropped all its leaves, the Bromeliad plants received good amount of sunlight, and 3) Restricted watering the plant; once a week. Also, the season helped! Well, the Kalanchoe plant too has tiny pretty flowers.
 
Someone had given me lablab (purpureus) seeds, and I had sowed one seed. That sprouted, and then grew to a creeper, which has our porch enclosure (iron grill) as support. The creeper bloomed flowers, and then has a bunch of beans. Well, I sowed the seeds late during this season. Our kittens are excited about all plants that I place near the enclosure; they jump and hop from one container to another. Considering these factors, I had my doubts whether or not the creeper would survive. Yes, yes, I'm glad that it not only survived but also has a few beans. :-)
 
I've been working at our terrace garden and land garden; hard work! Will post update later. Enjoy your day!
Bromeliad and Kalanchoe flowers
Lablab Purpureus flowers and beans
Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. Hello Asha, congrats on the bromeliad bloom! Also good job on getting the lablab seeds to germinate. I hope the vine will survive even with your kittens hoping from one container to another. Don't think you can stop them haha... Btw, that a very pretty kalanchoe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie :) The kittens, though are disciplined, tend to get naughty at times; and they blink cute when we say, No!, and that's how they get away.

      Delete
  2. Hi Asha! Your Kalanchoe is lovely. I have red ones and have been looking for the yellow variety.
    It's always great to have you drop by my blog. Thanks for your appreciation.
    And I'm looking forward to the pictures of your terrace and lawn after all the hard work you have put in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sujata. The land garden is taking a long time; soil condition is pathetic. Well, the plus side is that I'm experimenting with plants that can grow in such soil; good learning. Will click photos and share soon.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget