Friday, February 28, 2014

Amaranthus seeds collection

Waiting to collect the Amaranthus seeds. No organic or inorganic pesticide used on the Amaranthus plants. This plant grows in a plastic container with soil mix of red mud, animal manure, and cocopeat (2:2:1).

To collect the seeds, I cut off the dried flowers, and then place them on a sheet of paper (newspaper). Shaking the flowers or rubbing them gently between palms will enable the seeds to fall on the paper. Before use, need to dry them in semi-shade for a while. Planning to use the seeds this season itself; meanwhile, getting the soil/containers ready for sowing.

Happy Saturday!


Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. Hello Asha! That's a great tip there :)
    Just curious as to why you haven't used organic or inorganic pesticide,although a leaf miner seems to have gone a bit creative there ;) ?Any specific reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya, I'm in this experimental mode. Just seeing how the plants cope with pests. If we keep protecting the plants every time, they'll lose their immunity (just like us). From time to time, good to let the plants fight the pests and diseases themselves. Well, have said that I did spray Neem oil yesterday on all the plants. :)

      Delete
  2. Pests are indeed a problem for me. too. I have heard growing mint plant along with other greens help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that so? I have transfered the mint plants on to our land garden. I am growing marigold to keep pests away. But aphids are tough pests to detail with.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget