Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spring 2014 Chrysanthemums Collection :)

I love those days when I work at our garden. Yesterday and today are such happy days; getting hands dirty in mud is fun.

A few of my plants needed to be repotted; the plants had outgrown the containers or the soil had to be changed. Bought red mud, horse manure, and cocopeat; mixed them and used them as potting mixture. Well, I didn't purchase additional containers; reused the old ones, and also reused plastic covers and carton boxes. The plants that I replanted today were most indoor plants; the ones I worked on yesterday were rose plants.

When I feel thrilled about completing the work, I observe that some other plants need to be worked on. Phew... ! To avoid exertion, I split work month-wise or day-wise or hour-wise. And ensure that I rest my back for sufficient period. I forget the strain and pain when I see a plant grow well. All pain seems to be worth!

Potting mixture, pots, and plants
Indoor plants transfered to new containers
OK; back to the Mums! :-)

I love Chrysanthemums, and grow them every year. Due to health issues, I haven't grown them for two years now; only the existing ones are growing at our land garden. Was looking at Rake and Spade photos, and I saw the set of Mums during 2010; those flowers were pretty! Ouch, I also recollected how pests attacked those plants.

Past is past; I bought a few Chrysanthemums for this season. Ensured that the plants were free for pests/eggs, and also ensured that the soil mix had mud (instead of cocopeat). If the pots had cocopeat, I had to almost immediately replant the plants to keep them steady; our cats/kitten could tumble the containers, and cocopeat could fall and so could the plants. My aunt has another color of Mums, which she wants to give me; I'm yet to visit her and pick the plant. The news Mums too will be planted on the ground but only at the end of season.

Chrysanthemums
I have so much to share about our garden. Hmm... Will do so in series. :-)

Enjoy your weekend, friends!

Regards,
Asha

12 comments:

  1. hi again... its so nice to see u work for ur garden.n make it lovely :)
    the other day i was goin through other blogs n found a plant named as ghost plant or Indian pipe plant. do u by any chance have those in ur garden? Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I had the Indian Pipe Plant! Isn't it gorgeous?

      Delete
  2. hi.... one more query... is this costus igneus n madhunashini same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no. Costus igneus is:

      http://rake-and-spade.blogspot.in/2011/04/insulin-plant-another-natural-cure-for.html

      This plant too has medicinal properties.

      Delete
    2. ok... so can the leaves of costus igneus be used for diabetic patient? one of my prof"s wife is diabetic and she consumes these leaves. i searched for the madhunashini climber but was not successful.

      Delete
    3. Yes; diabetic patients do consume these leaves. I too like to eat the leaves; they taste sour. When I prepare curry/sambar of leafy vegetables, I use 2-3 of these leaves.

      If you are at Bangalore, you can get the madhunashini plant from University of Agri Sciences (Hebbal) or Dept of Horticulture (Hulimavu).

      Delete
    4. thanks a lot... yes we reside in bangalore itself. hebbal will be too far for me, coz i have a small baby... she is only 6 months old. may be i will wait for the lalbagh flower show. i read in ur blog. u have also bought the madhunashini sapling from the same place... :) :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds super fun!
    BTW the plant in the 5th pot in the 2nd row,next to alocasia,do you know it's name?
    Loved all your mums:)Such a generous dose of joy and colour!
    The mums in my garden never bloom after the initial blooming.I wonder what I might be doing wrong.Any suggestions,Asha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are philodendron varieties. After the initial blooming and during the flowering season, pinch off the tips and cut the dried flowers. Loosen the soil a little (on the top) and add manure. Water as per need. The plants may flower. If end of season, then let plants rest till next season. Hope this info helps, Vidya.

      Delete
  4. What a collection you have! Wonderful! Very pleasing to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indrani. It's color therapy :D

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget