Thursday, March 27, 2014

Amaryllis, Gladiolus, and Mangoes :)

As I had mentioned, only one Amaryllis plant had flowers this season. One day, I saw another Amaryllis plant show out a bud. Yes, yes, I was thrilled! Well, we had to travel, and I knew that the buds would flower when we travelled and I couldn't see the flowers in bloom. When we returned, more surprise was waiting. The White Gladiolus plant also had flowers, and the Amaryllis flowers were still intact. :-)


Our Mango tree has fruits; Malgova variety is the last in the season to have fruits. This year around, the tree doesn't have too many fruits. The tree is infected with pests, and that affects the other plants as well. It's too late for us to spray pesticide; therefore, we'll let the tree be as is. Hopefully, we have sufficient fruits for the birds and small animals.


Oh, our cats and kitten? They are absolutely fine; as inquisitive as ever! A photo of Kitty (the eldest and mother of Tipsy) lazing on the parapet wall...


Regards,
Asha

8 comments:

  1. HI,We had dreadful hailstorm this week most of my amaryllis buds got drooped or broken off...but one or two survived too...I have bad experience at growing glads since every time the leaves dry up and die ...dun know why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the buds drop makes the heart heavy :( The plants dry up after the season (sometimes). If they dry up during the season, wait, they'll shoot new leaves. That's what happened to my plants this year. I loosened the soil a bit and added horse manure. Watered as per the plants' need, and then they grew.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure whether gladiolus bulbs will survive after the season is over since we have harsh temperatures in the coming months ...so every time I have to save bulbs by digging them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arun, I found this website; talks about how to store the bulbs. Hope you find the info useful..

      http://dodge.uwex.edu/2011/02/preparing-gladiolus-bulbs-for-winter-storage/

      Delete
  3. They are always a nice bloom to watch open. Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Asha, that's a one pretty amaryllis! Glad you reach home on time to the blooms :-DJust got back from your other blog, I can see that Thekkady and Munnar are two beautiful places. I would have enjoyed the trip too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and tasting variety of teas. :D

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget