Thursday, March 6, 2014

DIY - Reuse plastic covers as plant holders

It's all about reusing stuff at home to make plant holders/containers and seed trays. Buying new containers (earthen/plastic/cement) can become expensive; and how many do I keep purchasing? Therefore, I keep a stock of items that I can reuse at our garden.
 
Our cats eat processed food, and that food comes in thick plastic covers. With three cats and one kitten, the number of food packets are substantial. These days I collect the empty packets/covers, and then use them as plant holders/containers. The quality of the cover is good, and the covers are thick; they make good plant holders for a season or two. After the season, I can dispose the covers.
 
Kitty and Tipsy (Tipsy sleeping on the parapet wall)
This morning (Oh, I love Fridays!) I got to work at the garden; prepared soil mixture and filled the plastic covers with the mixture, and then transferred the beans seedlings to each of the cover. These seedlings were growing inside plastic bottles. Amazing how healthy the roots grew!
 
Beans seedlings with healthy roots
The soil mixture has red mud, sand, cocopeat, and manure. The plastic covers have tiny holes to serve as drainage for excess water. Placed these containers in direct sunlight. The seedlings will be fine by tomorrow morning. Hopefully the plants gift us with good amount of beans. :-)
 
DIY - reuse plastic covers as plant containers
What else is happening at our garden? Lots of activities! The pretty rose bloomed. One of the Amaryllis plants is flaunting its beautiful flowers. Today's produce was an eggplant and handful of oranges. Well, it's interesting to observe the garden at different stages - seedlings, buds, flowers, fruits, and seeds.
 
Amaryllis, rose, eggplant, and oranges
I can't end this update with a mention about birds and bees. Thanks to the bees that visit our garden; they help in pollination. The birds sit on the trees and sing and sing and play. A divine sight!
 
Red-Whiskered Bulbuls and White-Cheek Barbets
As always, enjoy your weekend!
Regards,
Asha

11 comments:

  1. Hi Asha! Great idea to recycle the plastic bags! I envy that you grow such lovely vegetables. I would love to but the monkeys in our area just destroy everything. Yesterday they destroyed 7 of my Dahlia plants.
    Keep posting, I always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sujata. Monkeys are a nuisance. One trick is to spray Neem oil or garlic mixture on the plants; the bitterness/odour of garlic will drive the monkey away. Hopefully this trick will work.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful shots...n ..what a coincidence I have the ditto Amaryllis bloom right now in the bud form and some new bulbs about to bloom ...pics will be uploaded soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arun. I bought three bulbs of three different colors from Lalbagh nursery; only one blooms flowers every season, while the other two grow only leaves. Pls upload the photos.

      Delete
    2. I think you should replant the bulbs ...n ...irrigate less only when necessary ...may be it could help

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Arun. Each season I replant the bulbs, and water only if the soil gets dry.

      And You won't believe if I said that one more Amaryllis plant has a bud! This season has been strangely beautiful because some of my plants that hadn't bloomed flowers during past seasons are flaunting flowers this season. I'm waiting for that bud to bloom; wondering which color the flower would be.

      Will share pic!

      Delete
  3. very nice... my mom does these stuffs back in her small garden in west bengal :)

    U have nice pets :) even i have 2 doggys named as jenny n jazz.

    wish u also a very happy joyful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers can be very resourceful! Jenny and Jazz... cute names :)

      I hope you get some rest over the weekend. Having an infant at home can be hectic.

      Delete
    2. yeah... actually all the days are just weekdays for me :)

      Delete
    3. Weekends you may have family members to help you out? I've started letter series; whenever free, pls read them and provide your feedback.

      http://creative.sulekha.com/letter-to-my-daughter-her-arrival_615347_blog

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget