Sunday, March 2, 2014

Vegetables at our terrace garden

What a pleasant weekend! We received summer showers previous night, and the plants loved the rain. I had a few seed trays with seeds, and had to run out to cover the trays with plastic sheets. In the morning, the terrace and the plants looked awesome. Praying that we get more summer showers.
 
At our terrace, the vegetable plants and leafy vegetables are growing fine. The eggplants have aphids; been picking them and also sprayed Neem oil mixture. Will have to repeat the spray next week. 
 
I've grown three types of eggplant - long green, round purple, and round green. Left the first purple eggplant to ripen so that I can collect seeds. Usually, the last harvest is left for seed collection; however, I decided to do the reverse because the first yield is always healthy.
 
Two types of tomato plants grow on our terrace - small round and heart-shaped. The cherry tomato plants grown on our land garden. Again, I left a few cherry tomatoes to ripen so that I can collect seeds. What happened was that the fruits fell on ground and seeds germinated naturally. Seedlings look health; got to thin the seedlings soon.
 
The lablab beans, double beans, and cluster beans are all well. This is the first time that I've grown cluster beans. Oh, the plants are tiny! Let them grow at their will because I need to observe and learn about this plant. As the plants grow bigger and stronger, I'm sure we can see more beans on them.
 
Of course, chilli plants are plenty at our terrace. Almost all of them have chillies on them. One of the plants had a ripened chilli; removed the seeds from the chilli and sowed them in the same container. The spinach plants were harvested twice; cut only the leaves and let the plant grow. I've reused package boxes to grow the spinach plants. The material retains water, and also seems to encourage good growth of roots.
 
That's all for now. Hope to return with more updates!
 
Collage of vegetables growing at our terrace garden
Have a great week ahead! 

Regards,
Asha
 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Organic farming. I am inspired to do this now.
    Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I am definitely interested in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun, and when you see a bud/flower/fruit, oh the joy is tremendous! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I like! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have different vegetables plants at my terrace for the first time... how to make neem oil pesticide... is it effective on fungicide too... plz reply.. thnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, I buy the Neem oil from stores, mix the oil with a spoonful of detergent, and then spray on the plants. Pls see this website for more details:

      http://www.natureneem.com/index_fichiers/Neem_in_Agriculture.htm

      After the seedlings grow 6-7 healthy mature leaves, I spray first round of organic pesticide. Next round will be when the flowers show. The last round, if required, will be when the fruits/vegs are young. If the infection is more than expected, I tend to spray once in fifteen days.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget