Saturday, April 12, 2014

Golden Rain - Hibiscus Rosa-sinensis

Good morning! Have a beautiful Sunday :)

I'm glad to see one of my hybrid hibiscus plants bloom flowers. I have about a dozen hibiscus plants that bloom flowers of varing shapes and sizes. A severe aphid attack, previous year, had got me worried; thought I would lose most of the plants. Repeatedly I sprayed Neem oil and handpicked the pests; also pruned to reduce the pests. The plants seem to be better now; pests not as intense as the previous year. Keeping my fingers crossed, praying that we don't have to deal with severe pest attackes this year. Well, the plant is definitely a hardy one.

Yes, our Golden Rain hibiscus plant bloomed a flower yesterday. The flower stays for two days, and then withers away. The plant grows inside a cement container. I haven't repotted; only added a mixture of Red mud and manure as the top layer of the container. Next year, I may repot the container. During humid days, I water the plant regularly. During winter, water the plant once in two days.

Golden Rain (yellowish-orange) Hybrid Hibiscus
Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. What a beauty..the color reminds of Nasturtiums..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arun. I also have another variety of Golden Rain. It's more inclined to Red than Orange. Will post of pic of that flower as well. Happy day!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful.. Aphids are the main problem with hibiscus but as you said they are not that problem once the plant grows bigger...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. As long as we can protect them from pests till the plants grow bigger...

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget