Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pinching curry leaf plants

At our terrace garden, I grow curry leaf plants in containers. The containers are made of cement or are earthen pots. To prepare potting mixture, I add red mud, cocopeat, and manure in the ration 3:1:1. I have felt that this plant needs more mud.

On some days, my cats would have left little milk in their bowls, and that milk would have turned in to curd; I pour that sour curd to the curry leaf plants. I had pinched the plants so that branches shoot out. You can see the result in the photos. [Please ensure that you don't use your nails to pinch the plants.]

What is pinching plants? Pinching the plants means to cut/pinch the main stem/top part of the plant; that forces the plant to shoot out stems/branches. Imagine that you are cleaning leafy vegetables; you pinch/cut the top leaves and throw away the stem. This action can be thought of as similar to pinching plants.

Is there a video about pinching plants? Yes; please see How to pinch out plant tips video with Thompson & Morgan.




Regards,
Asha

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm reading about Hydroponics. Will take a while for me to experiment.

      Delete
  2. Hello Asha :)
    Lovely plant and this post brought back memories from childhood when my ajji used to ask me to throw away sour curds to our curry leaf tree :)
    Didnt know it helps :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Mom and grandmoms are always correct :-D

      Delete
  3. Your chilly plant looks very healthy. Thanks for the tips on the mild curds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got good amount of chillies this season, ABelle.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget