Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Torch Ginger - Etlingera Elatior

I've always been fascinated by the Torch Ginger flowers. They are gorgeous, and come in a pretty colors. Yes, as many gardeners, my desire was to procure the plants and grow them. I searched for the plants online. Well, I need certification to import them to India, which can be expensive. I looked at local nurseries, and yes, found the Red Torch Ginger plants. I bought the plant for Rs. 150. That's really cheap price for a bunch of rhizomes.

The Torch Ginger flowers are used for floral decorations and also in South East Asian dishes. The plants can be grown from rhizomes. The plant itself resembles the ginger plant, lush long green leaves, and grows to great heights (literally). It's definitely a hardy plant. I am not sure at what age the plant flowers. I'll have to wait and watch.

I saw the Torch Ginger flowers (Red and Pink) in different stages - bud to flower, at Lalbagh; the plants grow close to the fountain/band stand. Clicked a few photos, and sharing them with you.

Red Torch Ginger
Red Torch Ginger Bloom
Pink Torch Ginger
Regards,
Asha

4 comments:

  1. this inflorescence always makes me think of hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of flowers of Hawaii... oh, are they gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. In Malaysia, torch gingers grown on the ground and from rhizomes takes about 2 years to flower. They like lots of water and sandy soil in our climate. We eat the flower buds raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the photos on your blog site; oh, so lovely those flowers are! The plants that I have are young ones; got to wait for years to see their first flower. What a wait that will be!

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget