Monday, June 9, 2014

Cleaning terrace garden

Yes, we are receiving rains though monsoon is a few days away. The plants revive with the kiss of raindrops. Flowers bloom. Fruits begin to show up. Oh, pretty sight! The rain also brings in a lot of cleaning activity at our terrace garden. The soil from the pots may spill out due to rain. The plants may break a branch or two. The pots may have retained water. Parts of terrace garden may have not received sunlight, and therefore, slugs may be dwelling. And many more issues.

I've been cleaning and pruning the plants. Oh yes, it's back-breaking strenuous work! At the end of the day, every muscle pains. But it's good healthy pain! All right, what I do is remove one container after another, and place them at a different place on the terrace. For each container, I remove dried leaves, cut extra leaves, clean the top soil, and add manure. Sweep the entire area which the containers have occupied, and then arrange the cleaned containers as per their sunlight requirement.

Well, even after a week dedicated for this task, I am only able to complete 1/3 of the cleaning. Will take more time than I anticipated to clean the entire terrace garden. Oh my God! I have the stairs section of plants to clean, the waterlily containers to clean, and section of herbs and cactus to clean. I have also been separating newer growth from parent plants, and then planting them in separate containers (either made of plastic or terracotta or recycled plastic covers). Have been saving seeds that are dry. My dear cats have knocked out and broken a few artifacts at the terrace garden; they get excited when they are playing. So, it's time I went shopping for garden artifacts.

Sharing a few photos of the cleaned section and the unkempt section of our terrace garden; promise to share more pics in the next few posts. Happy week, my friends!
Cleaned portion of our terrace garden; anthurium section, chilli and potato plants in plastic covers, and indoor plants (along with baby plants in between the rows)

First photo shows cleaned area, while the next two photos show work-in-progress
My cats have littered, and our porch is a crazy warm mess! Look at the kittens sleeping. As long as they are asleep, the house is peaceful. :-)

Kittens
Regards,
Asha

7 comments:

  1. Lucky you...since we are suffering from the hottest summer of the past 30 years ...I wish we have raindrops rejuvenating the plants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh! Hopefully you receive rains soon.

      Delete
  2. they are precious but get her spayed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sharon. Previously due to my health issues, we couldn't get them spayed; couldn't hold them from wandering away from home for days. However, this time around they are getting operated in the coming weeks.

      Delete
  3. Hello..how r u? V.nice terrace garden!
    I have also started to plant vegetables and flowers in containers on terrace.
    When can I sow cherry tomato seeds? Can I sow these seeds in october month ? I live in kutchh district (gujarat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! Thanks. Cherry tomatoes can be grown during Oct. Soak seeds for 3-4 hours, drain the water, and then sow the seeds in prepared soil or in seed-trays. OR directly sow the seeds without soaking in water. If the weather is extreme (hot/cold), the seeds may not sprout as desired. Would be better to germinate seeds in small containers, and when the seedlings are strong enough, transplant them wherever required. When the plants look sturdy and have a lot of leaves, pinch the top of the plants so that branches shoot out, which will bear more tomatoes. All the best!

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget