Monday, May 18, 2015

Newer beginnings!

Hello friends! Hope all is well. We have been receiving rains almost everyday. Plants love it but, sadly, the top soil (of containers) have washed off, and I have been scraping the soil from our terrace garden and then put the soil back into the containers. Some containers that don't have drainage holes clog water; have to tilt the containers to remove water. Yes, I have to drill holes in those containers. I'm super glad that all the containers have a good population of earthworms!

I had bought Malabar Spinach from the market; looked for thick stems with less leaves. After I returned home, I removed the leaves, cut the stems, dried them in shade, and then planted the stems inside a container. Within a week, the stems showed new life. I will transplant these cuttings into new containers or on to land.


Two of my Brinjal plants are loyal, and I love them for that. One of the plants has this lone Brinjal hanging strong. I'll pluck it soon, and then make a dish with brinjal, tomatoes and onions.


My chilli plants looked sad because I had neglected them to innumerable reasons. Today I replanted them and moved them to a sunny area; have too more to replant. I used a combination of red mud, sand, and horse manure. Pruned the plants. These plants are prone to aphids; bought an organic spray to ward off the pests.


These are my lovely ginger plants. Have been gifting me spicy ginger for a year now. I only remove required amount of ginger, and let the remaining grow in the containers. A tiny piece of home-grown ginger is strong enough. The soil mix is red mud, sand, and a little bit of manure. I don't let the plants feed on too much manure, during the initial growing days. In my experience, ginger plants are hard to kill!


Hey, look, these are turmeric plants. Growing healthier by the day. I am yet to transplant them into different containers. :-)


Oh, how I love the watercress plants! Amazingly easy to grow and propagate. These are new plants that I've propagated. Each runner is planted in a different container. Yes, can grow in water as well.


Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. Hi Asha! I was wondering if you could give me a short how-to on growing Italian broad leaf basil, sage and rosemary. I plan on buying the seeds from an online site. Considering that I live in an apartment, I can only plant them indoors in containers. Would these plants do okay indoors, and would the Indian climate suit their growth(because people don't generally grow these plants here)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello A, thanks for stopping by, and sorry for my delayed response.

      With the availability of variety of seeds, people have been growing/experimenting with plants such as sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, and so on. As an experiment, I grew these plants in a soil that was pathetic - filled with a small amount construction debris and totally neglected; under one of our trees. Watered the plants once a day or once in two days. Didn't fertilize. Surprising the plants adapted and grew well. That area is now a tangled, due to the red basale creeper, mess of plants!

      Plants need a little bit of sunlight, if not direct. Even if you keep the plants indoors, I would suggest that you take them out (once a week or so) and place them in sunlight (direct or indirect depending on the needs of the plants).

      Try vertical gardening as much as possible, if you live in an apartment. The empty walls in your balcony can become an anchor for your containers. Good air circulation helps the plants.

      Sowing seeds. I have tried several methods but my fav is: soak seeds in water for about 3-4 hours or overnight; prepare paper cups and fill them with a soil mix of red mud-cocopeat or sand-manure; sow the soaked seeds, and water the seeds with the seeds-soaked water. If you can place these paper cups in either indirect sunlight or direct, the seeds may sprout. Wait for the seedlings to grow true leaves, and then transfer to containers with similar soil mixture as in the paper cups. Water and provide nutrients as required.

      Hope this info helps. All the best.

      Delete

Hi friends,

Thanks for visiting the blog site. Please leave a message to share experiments at your garden or to send me a feedback about my experiments. Even a simple "Hello" would make my day!

Regards,
Asha

There was an error in this gadget